Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Knob Creek Rye

Disciple

Re: Knob Creek Rye

I can see what you're saying in regards to the WT101 similarity in the mid-palate and finish. WT gives me more mint and ginger on the nose, and it's also sweeter. Knob gives me a bit more char, and that may be due to age? Both have the same mouthfeel of spice and weight. I can see putting them in the same camp, apart from LDI and DSP-354 Ritt. I would put Baby Saz in the same "biting" category.

And I'm glad you've gotten your hands on some Fleischmann's. That stuff is it's own animal. When I think of what it could be with higher proof...

Also, I dig what you're saying about establishing some Rye house styles. It would be really welcome for us Rye lovers. And I can't wait to start comparing Ritt DSP-1! This is a good thing. Too bad Turkey is dropping the ball.

Hey WT, are you listening???

Enthusiast

Distributor brought a bottle of the new Knob Creek Rye to a porch tasting the other evening. It's bottled at 100 proof but comes on like a much more powerful offering. The nose didn't offer any solid clues as to what this juice would taste like .. other than powerful. I would say the most dominant aroma once past the proof would be oak and grain with just a hint of sweetness. You do get the sense that this will be a complex drink. The first taste was on the order of "wow" .. and the wow was because of the power. It takes no time in introducing itself as a "big boy" rye as one of our tasters declared. It has some welcome complexities and a good, long finish. Having had a Sazerac 18 the day before, this was quite a departure. No demureness here. This offering would pair well with a pair of pearl handled 45's. Admittedly, it softened nicely with the addition of ice .. nothing more. When I added a bit of spring water .. it seemed anti-climatic. The porch consensus was that this is a darn good "big boy" rye .. and we'll all likely be adding these to our bars. It's ready to go on the shelf and will likely be there today or early next week.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HighHorse View Post
    This offering would pair well with a pair of pearl handled 45's.
    Ha! Quoted for awesomeness. Welcome to the forums.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 08-17-2012 at 11:41.

HighHorse welcome aboard! Very nice first post! How about posting an introduction in the New to Straight Bourbon Forum? Now back to our regularly scheduled program.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Enthusiast

Thanks p_elliot & thanks LostBottle! That's a nice welcome. I look forward to joining in the discussion. That's actually my first written review .. although our group of porch smokers and drinkers compare notes with the best. The bartender often warns newcomers that sit in with us to go easy because "these guys are professionals"! It ain't necessarily so .. but we get a kick out of it. Thanks again.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

I tried the Knob Creek Rye and Ri1 rye side by side and I'm convinced they are the exact same juice. There is a proof difference, Ri1 is ?94 and KCR is 100. Both of them are good basic rye whiskeys; I just prefer Rittenhouse 100 more. In Texas, Beam experimented with pricing on Ri1; it was $19.99 for a long time and now at $24.99. This is much lower than elsewhere in US. The KCR is $33.

My guess is Beam decided that Ri1 sales were not good and decided instead to leverage the Knob Creek brand.

I'm going to a launch event for Knob Creek Rye in Houston on Oct. 1st. The theme is roaring 20's.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Binny's in Lincoln Park has them side by side, though I didn't notice the price on r1. I was just surprised to see it.

Depending on their inventory, Beam may be happy to have both. I've made the same assumptions you have, but no one has announced the death of r1.

Guru

I had my first taste of KCR at the All Star Sampler last week and thought it was decent, but not sure I'd pay what they're asking for it around Georgia. I think it was closer to $40 when I passed on it, and my recollection when I tasted it was that I'd prefer the Willett 4 yr over it at nearly the same price (or Russel's Reserve, which I think was in the mid-$30 range as well).
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    I can see what you're saying in regards to the WT101 similarity in the mid-palate and finish. WT gives me more mint and ginger on the nose, and it's also sweeter. Knob gives me a bit more char, and that may be due to age? Both have the same mouthfeel of spice and weight. I can see putting them in the same camp, apart from LDI and DSP-354 Ritt. I would put Baby Saz in the same "biting" category.

And I'm glad you've gotten your hands on some Fleischmann's. That stuff is it's own animal. When I think of what it could be with higher proof...

Also, I dig what you're saying about establishing some Rye house styles. It would be really welcome for us Rye lovers. And I can't wait to start comparing Ritt DSP-1! This is a good thing. Too bad Turkey is dropping the ball.

Hey WT, are you listening???
    Visited the WT distillery a week ago and voiced disappointment at the loss of WTR 101. The staff suggested that they were rebuilding their stock of rye and that 101 "might" be coming back. If I were cynical, I "might" conclude that a) they were just trying to mollify a geezer or b) it "might" come back with a new and improved higher price. Meanwhile, I'm nursing the 1/2 bottle remaining and trying to get by on RRR, Bulleit, and Ritt.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Disciple

I tried KCR for the first time last week at the new Beam tasting room and enjoyed it quite a bit. I did find it similar to Turkey Rye. I specifically asked if it was the same as R1, and was told "very similar". I don't remember the exact words the hostess used, but it implied that R1 is dead. Of course, I doubt Beam would turn down orders if someone asked for it, particularly if it can be made from existing barrels.