Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Knob Creek Rye

Connoisseur

Re: Knob Creek Rye

I finally got to try the Knob creek rye today. I might have missed it somewhere, so please forgive me if I didn't take it to heart if you said it, but it tastes a LOT like regular Knob Creek. The funky Beam yeast is making its presence known vigorously, the corny notes are up-front-and-personal, and the depth is pretty much little on spice and a lot on caramel and maple syrup. The biggest differences on my palate are that there is much more of a young wood influence in the rye, a bit less maple, and a sort of shallowness to it, like the more you swirl it around in your mouth, the less you get back. The additional spice due to the increased rye is minimal. I can tell the difference between the two, but they are cousins, much closer to each other than the rye is to other ryes.

I like Knob Creek, but I never would have bought this if I had read the simple observation that it's so similar. Maybe it's just me, but I tried it tonight with Pikesville Rye, HW 16, McKenzie Rye, BT White Dog Rye... various iterations of rye, and it just jumped out as being so obviously a Beam profile.

Apprentice

Re: Knob Creek Rye

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    I finally got to try the Knob creek rye today. I might have missed it somewhere, so please forgive me if I didn't take it to heart if you said it, but it tastes a LOT like regular Knob Creek. The funky Beam yeast is making its presence known vigorously, the corny notes are up-front-and-personal, and the depth is pretty much little on spice and a lot on caramel and maple syrup. The biggest differences on my palate are that there is much more of a young wood influence in the rye, a bit less maple, and a sort of shallowness to it, like the more you swirl it around in your mouth, the less you get back. The additional spice due to the increased rye is minimal. I can tell the difference between the two, but they are cousins, much closer to each other than the rye is to other ryes.

I like Knob Creek, but I never would have bought this if I had read the simple observation that it's so similar. Maybe it's just me, but I tried it tonight with Pikesville Rye, HW 16, McKenzie Rye, BT White Dog Rye... various iterations of rye, and it just jumped out as being so obviously a Beam profile.
    i think that is absolutely spot on. i enjoyed it, but they are absolutely close cousins. i was hoping for just a touch more rye.