Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Knob Creek Rye

Disciple

Re: Knob Creek Rye

I saw a listing today on the Pa. Liqour Control Board website that lists a Beam bourbon selection set with Knob Creek Single barrel reserve, Knob Creek rye, Beam black and Devils cut. it say it is 750 size and runs 29.50. I am thinking it is 4-200ml bottles in a set. It is a special order with a purchase minimum of 4. Ohio has been getting more and more of these sets and oddball smaller size bottles. hopefully this shows up locally!

Thomas

Taster

I attended a whiskey event last night in DC and Fred Noe was there. I asked him when Knob Creek Rye would be available in the Washington, DC area and he told me "Around August." Just FYI I guess.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by keith18 View Post
    I attended a whiskey event last night in DC and Fred Noe was there. I asked him when Knob Creek Rye would be available in the Washington, DC area and he told me "Around August." Just FYI I guess.
    Which event was that? Anyway, my guess it that it will be much less expensive in Maryland, which I hope he was referring to. DC prices are nuts.

Taster

The event was called "Whiskey Confidential" and it was hosted by Maker's Mark/Jim Beam. They had a bunch of their brands there--tequila, Irish whiskey, Laphroaig, Canadian Club, and a few others that I was completely ambivalent about. Fred was there and when he spoke he was pushing Devil's Cut.

Overall it was okay--got a little crowded so we left early to go to dinner.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by STLbourbon View Post
    Just tasted the Knob Creek Rye an hour ago at a local tasting. Pretty good, didn't blow me away, but enjoyable. I think I'd put it neck and neck with Bulleit Rye and then Bulleit wins by a nose or 10. But that was just one tasting. You know how things change. I'd be happy to try again sometime. I wish I was more of a Rye expert and had more in my memory banks to compare it with.

They said another 8 months or so for a real release.

STLb
    I'm gonna have to disagree with you here-- I didn't think the Knob Creek Rye (which I just tasted last night at a local sports bar) tastes anything like the Bulleit Rye.

The Knob Creek definitely had more oak-- not surprising, given its higher age. It was also noticeably-sweeter, with the slightest hint of bitterness in the finish.

The Bulleit, IMHO, is about as dry, crisp, and spicy as a Straight Rye can get. It is definitely younger. Overall, more rustic and rambunctious.

It tastes like Jim Beam is still playing it safe with their Ryes-- the overall product was still decidedly-bourbon-y, but had enough distinctiveness in its flavor to prevent it from being confused with the Knob Creek bourbons, in my opinion.

The upshot is that, if Beam's marketing muscle can win enough converts with this new Knob Creek Rye, then maybe Straight Rye whiskey can finally make its way into the mainstream, instead of being continually-relegated to being a "niche" spirit.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Disciple

Knob Creek rye is now out on the shelves in Ohio. I bought a bottle yesterday at a local store!

Thomas

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Knob Creek rye is now out on the shelves in Ohio. I bought a bottle yesterday at a local store!

Thomas
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts Tom....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts Tom....
    +1

Disciple

Opened the Knob Creek last night and compared it to ri1. It definitely has more age and more oak. I like it due to the fact that its 100 proof and is 10.00 less a 750 than ri1 around here. I like the ri1 too but it is way overpriced. Knob Creek definitely has more age than WT or Rittenhouse, which I also tried in the tasting. Overall, I like this new offering, but then again I am a rye whiskey junkie to begin with!

Thomas

Connoisseur

Sam Komlenic stopped by yesterday and he sampled my bottle of KC Rye. Even before he had any, he noticed that the bottle does not say "Kentucky Straight" anywhere on it- it is only bottled by Knob Creek Distilling (Beam). There is no mention of who distills it, or if it's even from Kentucky. Sam made mention that he even thought it had a few characteristics in common with LDI ryes, but stopped short of feeling confident it was from a different source other than Beam. I had not noticed the lack of "Kentucky Straight" on the labeling, but after he pointed it out, we got to wondering "What IS Knob Creek Rye?"
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.