Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Knob Creek Rye

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Knob Creek Rye

Name a rye whiskey that does say "Kentucky Straight" on the label.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Name a rye whiskey that does say "Kentucky Straight" on the label.
    Saz 18?
    Van Winkle Family reserve?

just off the top of my head.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Saz 18?
    Van Winkle Family reserve?

just off the top of my head.
    Also Wild Turkey Rye
    Jim Beam Rye

Baby Saz, Handy, and High West say "Straight Rye Whiskey" (omitting Kentucky)
    Last edited by JayMonster; 05-24-2012 at 11:50.

Connoisseur

Pikesville, Rittenhouse, Old Overholt, and Michter's are also "straight."

Just that Knob Creek Rye makes no mention of "Kentucky" OR "straight" makes me curious. Basically every other major rye producer, including Beam on the OO, put it on the label. Why not for the KC rye? It just makes no sense they would leave it off for "marketing." After all, the bourbon is labeled "Kentucky Straight" so if it was for marketing, wouldn't it be omitted from the bourbon label as well?
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Just having my first sips from the bottle I picked up today. Nice tobacco and bright nose. Definitely gets my attention. Chewy, spicy, and bold on the palate. Yes, Bold. So, Beam can make a Bold rye! It's waking my arse up from the 7 hours I spent behind the wheel today visiting customers in TN, VA, and NC. My first impression is that this is a keeper. This just roared past alot of other ryes in my "favorites" line-up. My early impression would be that if you liked WTR 101, you will like this at least as much, if not more. They are similar in their bite. But, you may not like that it's cost is twice as much as the Turkey was. Operative word being was. To me, no matter. This rye is worth the coin.

BTW, the Catoctin Creek Roundstone Rye I also sipped from may be influencing my opinion. Nothing wrong with it, just not alot right, either. Both were $38. The KC is light-years better. Nut, that probably ain't a fair comparison.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Those are pretty much my thoughts on the KC rye as well. A great replacement for the WT 101 rye!

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Just having my first sips from the bottle I picked up today. Nice tobacco and bright nose. Definitely gets my attention. Chewy, spicy, and bold on the palate. Yes, Bold. So, Beam can make a Bold rye! It's waking my arse up from the 7 hours I spent behind the wheel today visiting customers in TN, VA, and NC. My first impression is that this is a keeper. This just roared past alot of other ryes in my "favorites" line-up. My early impression would be that if you liked WTR 101, you will like this at least as much, if not more. They are similar in their bite. But, you may not like that it's cost is twice as much as the Turkey was. Operative word being was. To me, no matter. This rye is worth the coin.

BTW, the Catoctin Creek Roundstone Rye I also sipped from may be influencing my opinion. Nothing wrong with it, just not alot right, either. Both were $38. The KC is light-years better. Nut, that probably ain't a fair comparison.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Guru

Finally got a chance to try KC rye.

Let me start out by saying that I'm not a rye fanatic; more of an occasional drinker. But when I have a rye, I want a rye..... bold and spicy. (Same with rye bread... I don't want any wimpy light rye) That's why I liked the Bowman rye so much ---- a real slap in the face of flavor.

So, the KC rye: some mint, some cinnamon, most definitely a rye. Nice; very serviceable. But when compared to Ritt BiB (the closest in terms of age & proof that I had opened), the Ritt was brighter, spicier, more flavorful.

So.... nothing wrong with KC rye: decent flavor and proof; in a word --- nice. But very middle-of-the-road in every respect. Kinda the JCPenney of rye whiskies.

My overall impression?

Meh.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

Out of 12 ryes I have open, only WT says Kentucky Straight. As for Cotoctin Creek, I like it for a 1.5 month old whiskey. I put it in the unusual artisan whiskey class but probably won't buy another bottle.

Does the KC have the funky yeast test of other Beam products?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

Does the KC have the funky yeast test of other Beam products?

Not sure exactly what you notice, but I didn't detect anything like that.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Only a few say "Kentucky"--Van Winkle, Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, Russell's Reserve. It's a recent addition for Beam, added with I think the most recent label redesign. Older labels don't say it.

It definitely is not on Overholt or Rittenhouse.

Sazerac is an interesting case. It's not on the bottle but in the BT Media Kit, there is a reproducable logo that says "Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey." Of course, none of the Indiana ryes say "Kentucky."

Most say "straight."

In my opinion, neither omission means anything, except that Beam decided "RYE" was the word its consumers wanted to see next to "Knob Creek" and everything else was superfluous. Remember, they want to make sure folks don't buy the rye when they mean to buy the bourbon and vice-versa, likewise the single barrel, as the packaging on all three is pretty similar.

People thought it suspicious when Maker's 46 put "Kentucky" but not "Straight" on that label. It wasn't.

Rye--or Straight Rye--isn't bourbon. It doesn't even have to be made in the United States. "Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey" has become a mantra, but only the words "Bourbon Whiskey" are required. The other two are optional.

Let's just say the typical Knob Creek drinker is a simple soul who doesn't want to read extra words.

Again, just an opinion. Folks who want to work up some conspiracy theories can be my guest. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, the omissions are not meaningful or even very interesting.