I apologize if the title of this thread offends anyone: it is not meant to.

Basically, I have come to the conclusion that the time and effort I spend and have spent waiting for the release of said whiskies and driving around looking for said whiskies just isn't worth it to me.

I've had the pleasure to be able to drink good bourbon for about 35 years now. Old Weller Antique 107 in the gold-veined bottle was a favorite of mine back in the 1970s and I still drink the current version today. Old Grand-Dad bonded, Wild Turkey 101 and Rye 101, Old Charter of all ages; all these were favorites of mine over the years and remain so today.

Then about 10 years ago I found a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 107 at my liquor store...and I was hooked. I really enjoyed the taste of the whiskey and decided to go and pick up another bottle, and consequently drank it on a semi-regular basis. Life was good.

Then the Bourbon Trend hit. Old Rip was gone from the shelves and when it could be found the price had increased exponentially. Then BTAC hit and I decided to try these whiskies, but the same thing happened. NONE could be found unless I haunted the liquor store every day, trying to scoop one or two bottles up before the "hobbyists" hit the store and bought everything in sight, leaving empty shelves and "We're sorry, but a customer came and bought all of it!" statements from the staff. What a pain in the neck!

So, I've decided to go back to my old regular pours and stop worrying about tracking down Birthday Bourbons, barrel-proof ryes, and 140.6 proof bourbons. I just want a good drink of bourbon that tastes the same, day in and day out, in the same old-fashioned bottles. No gimmicks for me! I can have wheated bourbons, rye bourbons, and heavy corn bourbons just with the middle and lower shelf whiskies. And I can generally find them without too much effort.

Now, if they can only leave my Old Charter 10 and Old Grand-Dad bonded alone for say the next thirty-five years or so, I think I can be happy!

Anyone else feel the same?