Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    I have a bottle of '01 chillin somewhere...What are the differences between an 01 and an 08?
    I've not had 2008. I tried 2001 back to back with 2010 and found them miles apart. But now I'm trying 2010 with 2011 and find the 2010 better. One would hope it was all the same coming out of the same tank, but the three bottles I've tried so far don't agree (1 2010 vs 2 2011's). I understand they want to release slowly to keep price higher, but maybe this tank idea not working out so well.

Virtuoso

They know exactly how many barrels they have left. Now, how much everyone else has left in stocks anywhere, that's the question they can't answer.

Problem is, you don't really know exactly how much is in a barrel... Until you need the barrel. I think they will be "out" of 20 year old S-W distillate in 2013 and 23 yr in 2016 IF they keep carefully meting it out the way they have been. of course... there's no guarantee that that's true.

For advertising's sake though, it's great to keep things ambiguous. Let all of us do the talking. Is it all BT now?? is there any S-W mixed in there??? Well maybe they--- With comments like these being flung around, The Van Winkles almost don't even need a full page ad in a magazine... just like Joe said.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by B.B. Babington View Post
    I've not had 2008. I tried 2001 back to back with 2010 and found them miles apart. But now I'm trying 2010 with 2011 and find the 2010 better. One would hope it was all the same coming out of the same tank, but the three bottles I've tried so far don't agree (1 2010 vs 2 2011's). I understand they want to release slowly to keep price higher, but maybe this tank idea not working out so well.
    I don't think it's to keep the price higher. BT didn't distill the Saz 18, they aquired it when Kirin bought BT. it Isn't their distillate, and to my knoweldge they don't currently have any Rye that is yet 18 years old. When Saz 18 is gone, it's gone. It will be interesting to see if BT has set aside anything to replace the shrinking stock, or if Saz 18 will simply disappear?

My assumption is that as volume reduces in the tank, and a larger percentage of the remaining whiskey is exposed to air and allowed to oxidize, it continues to change. So every release from 07 or 08 (whenever it got tanked...?) would be "the same," except for the effects of air.

Something that WOULD be interesting to know for sure, is if the Saz 18 stocks came from the same source that PVWFRR and Hirsch rye came from.
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

...My assumption is that as volume reduces in the tank, and a larger percentage of the remaining whiskey is exposed to air and allowed to oxidize, it continues to change. So every release from 07 or 08 (whenever it got tanked...?) would be "the same," except for the effects of air...
    I'm too lazy to search, but there's size of tank and number of tanks to consider. The info sheet says 2011 was distilled Spring 1985 yet they call it 18yro. And yes, though tank aging may not be great, I still like 2011 a lot and glad to have it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

My assumption is that as volume reduces in the tank, and a larger percentage of the remaining whiskey is exposed to air and allowed to oxidize, it continues to change. So every release from 07 or 08 (whenever it got tanked...?) would be "the same," except for the effects of air.
    Possibly just as important as oxidation (and this is never talked about, but I'm sure Chuck will have an article soon) is the fact that stainless steel is stainless because it creates a hard barrier when exposed to oxygen. In the absence of oxygen to keep that barrier strong, such as under water in marine situations, or say when the stainless happens to be under a volume of whiskey for a number of years, that barrier weakens, making it more prone to chemical attack and allowing the iron content of the steel to get dissolved by those chemicals. Iron and whiskey don't mix.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    Possibly just as important as oxidation (and this is never talked about, but I'm sure Chuck will have an article soon) is the fact that stainless steel is stainless because it creates a hard barrier when exposed to oxygen. In the absence of oxygen to keep that barrier strong, such as under water in marine situations, or say when the stainless happens to be under a volume of whiskey for a number of years, that barrier weakens, making it more prone to chemical attack and allowing the iron content of the steel to get dissolved by those chemicals. Iron and whiskey don't mix.
    Yes- I never really exactly got how we could leave 10,000 gallons of whiskey in a stainless steel container, but I can't leave 100 ml in my stainless flask.
    Last edited by ErichPryde; 12-13-2011 at 18:07.

Connoisseur

Yes- I never really exactly got how we could leave 10,000 gallons of whiskey in a stainless steel container, but I can't leave 100 ounces in my stainless flask.
    Maybe the interior of the ss tank is coated.

Guru

They rub the inside with a paste made from Pappy's ashes.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I thought his ashes were added to the ORVW23 collector's decanter....?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    That's the honey tank!