Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 175
  1. #111
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    6,065

    Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

    Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    Possibly just as important as oxidation (and this is never talked about, but I'm sure Chuck will have an article soon) is the fact that stainless steel is stainless because it creates a hard barrier when exposed to oxygen. In the absence of oxygen to keep that barrier strong, such as under water in marine situations, or say when the stainless happens to be under a volume of whiskey for a number of years, that barrier weakens, making it more prone to chemical attack and allowing the iron content of the steel to get dissolved by those chemicals. Iron and whiskey don't mix.
    Fricky? Bourbonjoe? Help please? You guys know about as much as there is to know about stainless.

    FWIW, I have positively ADORED every years' release of Saz 18 that I have tasted. I don't think there has been any degradation of this whiskey over the last several years. It was, and is, truly special. IMO, of course. YMMV.
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  2. #112
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    324

    Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense



    Photo-proof that this has gone too far. Look at poor Julian III in that picture, under the looming pricetag. He looks like he's a victim of abuse!

    I went in the store to see if the proprietor had ANYTHING at any reasonable price whatsoever. He did not. I guess if your sales strategy is to be the only one in town with the fine old whiskey in your glass case, this is how you do it. The scary thing is that he clearly had sold some bottles since I'd walked by last. He had the VW 12 at $100 and it was GONE!

  3. #113
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NE OH
    Posts
    1,784

    Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkle View Post


    Photo-proof that this has gone too far. Look at poor Julian III in that picture, under the looming pricetag. He looks like he's a victim of abuse!

    I went in the store to see if the proprietor had ANYTHING at any reasonable price whatsoever. He did not. I guess if your sales strategy is to be the only one in town with the fine old whiskey in your glass case, this is how you do it. The scary thing is that he clearly had sold some bottles since I'd walked by last. He had the VW 12 at $100 and it was GONE!
    Well if inflation keeps up at this rate I'll be sitting pretty in a few more years.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

    GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

  4. #114
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    624

    Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkle View Post
    Photo-proof that this has gone too far. Look at poor Julian III in that picture, under the looming pricetag. He looks like he's a victim of abuse!

    I went in the store to see if the proprietor had ANYTHING at any reasonable price whatsoever. He did not. I guess if your sales strategy is to be the only one in town with the fine old whiskey in your glass case, this is how you do it. The scary thing is that he clearly had sold some bottles since I'd walked by last. He had the VW 12 at $100 and it was GONE!
    What was the Pappy 20 selling for??

  5. #115
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    274

    Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

    I have enormous respect for retailers that know the secondary market value and continue to sell for a fair price. I got both my 20s for just over $100 ea and my ORVW10/107 for $34. I'll be buying more beer/booze from the same establishments for not letting greed take over on a few bottles.

  6. #116
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    324

    Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainQ View Post
    What was the Pappy 20 selling for??
    Apparently, he was SOLD OUT of his 20's. I think 300 bucks.

    I think the idea behind this shop is, "well, we're in DC, so there's got to be some fat cat lobbyist/senator/congressman who just Has to have 'the best' stuff, and who has an expense account somewhere to pay for this." So he probably sells to that market... We have plenty of folks in this town (Also, embassies...) who have tons of money, big expense accounts, and no need to pay a fair price for a limited resource.

    Oh yeah, and when I called him out on his BS prices he says to me, "It gets more expensive for me every year -- it keeps going up by 15%!"

    Yeah, I'm sure that's the reason.

  7. #117
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    805
    Quote Originally Posted by dridge11 View Post
    I have enormous respect for retailers that know the secondary market value and continue to sell for a fair price. I got both my 20s for just over $100 ea and my ORVW10/107 for $34. I'll be buying more beer/booze from the same establishments for not letting greed take over on a few bottles.
    Can't agree more about the statement above regarding those that stick to their guns on fair price. However this is part of capitalism that still works well. Let supply and demand pressures determine the price. For those that raise the price and get people to purchase it, that is all part of the free market and good for them. We have the right to buy it or leave it on the shelf. If we leave it on the shelf long enough the free market will drive the price back down. I started driving myself crazy trying to find any of the PVW's or BTAC this year. I must have hit 40 stores in the surrounding 50 mile radius. I found only one store with Handy at $97. As much as I wanted to try it, I left it on the shelf. What I did find in that store hunt were some ryes and bourbon in the $15-$40 range that I find amazing. I will stick to those until the non-sense dies down.

    In full disclosure, I do have some in the small bunker I have built, but it is purely thanks to a new found friend that gave more than he received. Will return that favor one of these days!





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #118
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    324

    Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

    Quote Originally Posted by Ejmharris View Post
    I will stick to those until the non-sense dies down.
    And therein lies the beauty of the PVW switch to BT. Since it's still really good, I can wait and buy some more later at some future date once this insanity goes away a bit.

  9. #119
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    DelMarVa
    Posts
    1,867

    Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkle View Post
    And therein lies the beauty of the PVW switch to BT. Since it's still really good, I can wait and buy some more later at some future date once this insanity goes away a bit.
    I've got a bottle or two to get me through the hipster craze...

  10. #120
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    1,722

    Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I've got a bottle or two to get me through the hipster craze...
    yeah...more like a 100 bottles!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Van Winkle 13yr. vs. Van Winkle 12yr.
    By drfred in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-03-2002, 12:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top