Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

Nonsense indeed. That said, I managed to pick up 3 bottles of PVW15, one of which I will crack tonight. I am curious to see what the new stuff tastes like. First though, I need to get busy and sell the other 2 bottles on fleabay. In lieu of cash, my buy it now price will literally be 1 arm & 1 leg, or your firstborn

Actually, if there is another member on this board that is after some PVW15 let me know. I don't want to sell, but want do a little trading for some Sazerac 18 or GTS (2009 or 2010). I will enjoy the PVW for sure and it is probably the 2nd best pour I've had, but I have never had Saz 18 and the GTS is a just a tad more special for me.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 12-22-2011 at 19:20.

Novice

I remember about 6 years ago stopping in a little liquor store here in Central Texas and picking up 5 bottles of Lot B for $35.99 each and a bottle of 20 for $69.99, and left a fair number sitting on the shelf. If I had realized what was going to happen, I would have weighed down the car with the rest of their stock. Also wouldn't have given a bottle of the Lot B to a good friend as a Xmas present years ago, either (lol). Oh well. . .

I was able to score a bottle of Pappy 20 because I walked into Bevmo the day that they put it on the shelf. I actually went in to get a $25 bottle, but could not resist grabbing the Pappy since I knew all 3 would be gone the next day. I started a small whiskey tasting club with my friends so I'm going to do a tasting with Pappy 15, Pappy 20, ORVW 107, and Weller Antique. Thought I would share with my friends instead of hoarding it for myself.

I was in Roseville, CA this weekend and Total Wine had multiple bottles of every BTAC release except the Sazerac 18, which is of course the one that I really wanted. I ended up not grabbing any of them. They also had multiple ORVW bottles in both proofs.

Quote Originally Posted by thezenone View Post
    ...had multiple bottles of every BTAC release except the Sazerac 18, which is of course the one that I really wanted. ...
    Is Saz18 going to be the next "gold" to score? Wish I had more.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by B.B. Babington View Post

Must be me, but not a big fan of the 18 at all. Ive got one bottle from the 2010 that is halfway full and not one of my favorites.

I'm a big fan of rye and love Baby Saz, so that was at the top of my want list in terms of BTAC. I really should have grabbed a bottle of the Handy, but I already had $100 worth of booze.

Quote Originally Posted by thezenone View Post
    I was in Roseville, CA this weekend and Total Wine had multiple bottles of every BTAC release except the Sazerac 18, which is of course the one that I really wanted. I ended up not grabbing any of them. They also had multiple ORVW bottles in both proofs.
    Oddly enough, the rep at the Total Wine I went to in SoCal told me "hey Roseville has some Stagg and WLW". Neither I nor the salesperson knew where that was, and upon checking Google Maps, to our dismay it was not within driving distance

I'm not crazy about the saz 18 either. Too spicy for my tastes I guess. I have a line on a bottle if someone in the nashville area wants to work out a trade for some pappy (any) or willett 19 year.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by B.B. Babington View Post
    It seemed to be in muuuuch shorter supply than any PVW where I am at. In fact, I traded some PVW for some Saz18 to another board member who likes wheaters better because I simply had a hard time getting any. The good news is that rye seems to be an acquired taste and many people waiting for the Pappy were not really whiskey aficionados and were after name brand only - they had no idea what Saz 18 was.

@speedbump47

We were up there visiting friends and the store happened to be very close to where they live. They had no less than 6 bottles of each BTAC (except the Saz 18 which was out), and if I remember correctly they had about 10 Wellers. Makes me wonder how long they were on the shelf and whether I need to make another trip to see our friends