Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

I can understand Fitzharry's frustration. Luckily in my state, it's not that tough to find random Pappy and BTAC hanging around(Even GTS), as there's not much wealth in Wisconsin. And while I enjoy those bottlings, I also drink every style and price point.

I guess I'm just too curious about every Bourbon/Rye to give up on an entire category.

And as to the price comments, IMHO, Bourbon drinkers are still VERY lucky, as it is the most undervalued, underpriced, world-class spirit available. If we were addicted Barley, forget about it.

Taster

I think it's frustrating but I've gotten used to it. There are so many other great bottles that you can get for cheap and with relative ease. I usually end up getting Weller 12 year in place of Lot B. Four Roses has great whiskey and its not a cult label (yet). OGD 114 is a go to high proof bourbon at only 20 bucks.

The entire bourbon craze has resulted in higher production from existing distilleries and the creation of new distillers. I think it bodes well for the serious bourbon fans, especially if this proves to be a fad.

I collect vintage guitars and the search for good bourbon isn't too different from the search for quality vintage guitars. Just takes patience, money, and the passion to do it.

Taster

I enjoy the hunt. I was excited to find this year's BTAC on the shelves one evening, and then spend the entire next day finding as many of these bottles as I could. White Dog is right that it isn't too difficult to find stores in Wisconsin with BTAC bottles, even from years past (though the Stagg, Weller, and Sazerac 18 seem to disappear at least by the time the next year's release hits the market).

I joined the Bourbon Brigade after immersing myself in single malt Scotch whiskies. I find that a bottle of BTAC - or Pappy, as long as we're not talking about the 23 year old - is rather inexpensive in comparison to what I became accustomed to when buying single malt Scotch. I'm sure that Buffalo Trace and Old Rip Van Winkle would have no problems selling their entire stock even if they doubled the price. I know that I would still be a customer.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by angler82 View Post
    Four Roses has great whiskey and its not a cult label (yet).
    The day that Four Roses becomes (if they ever do) a BTAC or Pappy, or sees a decline in quality I will be a sad man... however, I'll be a sad man with a helluva bunkered supply of Four Roses. Cheers to anticipating the future
    Ryan

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny.Applebury View Post
    I enjoy the hunt. I was excited to find this year's BTAC on the shelves one evening, and then spend the entire next day finding as many of these bottles as I could. White Dog is right that it isn't too difficult to find stores in Wisconsin with BTAC bottles, even from years past (though the Stagg, Weller, and Sazerac 18 seem to disappear at least by the time the next year's release hits the market).

I joined the Bourbon Brigade after immersing myself in single malt Scotch whiskies. I find that a bottle of BTAC - or Pappy, as long as we're not talking about the 23 year old - is rather inexpensive in comparison to what I became accustomed to when buying single malt Scotch. I'm sure that Buffalo Trace and Old Rip Van Winkle would have no problems selling their entire stock even if they doubled the price. I know that I would still be a customer.
    I see your point. As I said, I don't really mind paying a higher price for bourbon (or anything else, for that matter) if it's something that I really want. My problem is that the fervor of the BTAC or Van Winkle believers drives those products from the shelf. Sure, it's supply and demand; I realize that. But I can also walk into my local store and find plenty of high-demand (and expensive!) Laphroaig Cask Strength and Highland Park 18 on the shelf...but no William Larue Weller, Stagg, or Van Winkle.

It's not that I don't like the BTAC and Van Winkle products: I certainly do. It's just that I've lost the desire to run around like a chicken with my head cut off looking for the stuff. That's why I'm sticking with the Old Charter, Old Weller 107, Old Grand-Dad, and George Dickel No. 12, and hope that maybe someday the BTAC and Van Winkle will eventually...finally...make a somewhat regular appearance on my local liquor retailers' shelves.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by nivto View Post
    The day that Four Roses becomes (if they ever do) a BTAC or Pappy
    Haven't they already with their LE's and Mariage's and such?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by fitzharry View Post
    But I can also walk into my local store and find plenty of high-demand (and expensive!) Laphroaig Cask Strength and Highland Park 18 on the shelf...but no William Larue Weller, Stagg, or Van Winkle.
    Laphroaig sells six million cases per year. I don't think that the VW or BTAC can even come close to this.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    Haven't they already with their LE's and Mariage's and such?
    I don't think so... I find their LE's are very easy to get when they are released. They are priced high from $65-$80 at most places, but I think they're just keeping up with the price point that is now kind of the standard for Limited Edition bottlings. But, those are not what I personally bunker. I have several of the Mariages, and a few of the LE's... but I am an avid fan of the standard single barrel, as well as the SBBS selections from various sources which I think are priced very fair for the quality of bourbon that I feel that I am drinking.
    Ryan

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    Laphroaig sells six million cases per year. I don't think that the VW or BTAC can even come close to this.
    Do you think this may be because of marketing decisions to keep supply limited, or perhaps just an inability to find the resources, i.e. people, time, ingredients, etc., to meet demand?

If Scotland can meet the demand then why can't we? I have to believe that the BTAC and Van Winkle producers have known for years about the demand for their products and could have planned for ageing more whiskey to meet the increase...

Virtuoso

It's almost not worth the effort anymore. And lately, I've been disenchanted by the BTAC. I think BT does fairly mediocre distilling compared to HH and 4R and it is readily apparent in these high proof bottlings. I found the 2011 4R LE 1B to have much more enjoyable flavor at 54% compared to my open GTS at 70%