Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

I didn't know Bourbon Hipster was actually a thing until this thread

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by PappyVW23 View Post
    I guess i just don't understand the post. It comes off as "i'm the old gristled veteran and these new "hobbyists" are snatching up the bourbon" then you go into a sort of sour grapes rant about how they aren't really worth it anyway so your going back to "standard" stuff which you, in your greater wisdom, know to be superior anyway. It sounds high and mighty frankly. I understand hobbyist is used in the pejorative and i have to laugh. If this isn't a hobby to you, what is it? This is a hobbyist forum is it not? Are you a professional? an addict? It is definitely a hobby of mine and i consider myself a hobbyist. I definitely buy all the bottles of pappy i can get my hands on. I sell some, drink some and trade some. These BTAC bourbons and the pappy stuff have been judged by the big boys and small boys as being good and rare. That always equals limited supply.

here is the perfect smiley for this thread . I hope i don't offend, i hope my interpretation of this thread informs not offends. but you guys just come off as a bunch of grumpy old men that are upset a bunch of new people are getting into your hobby. Well, they are. Remember when you got into it?

you know how i get my allotment? i talk to the store owners and employees about bourbon. I show them i truly appreciate their product and their time and you know what? they call me on my cell phone to say they got something in. I don't drive all over the place looking for it. Why would you? don't have a phone? I learn a lot and make new friends this way. walk in with an attitude and a wad of cash and you get nothing around here. The plain truth is there are more people that want this bourbon than is made to meet the demand. Same as anything else. Cars, houses, cigars.....bourbon.

i'm a hobbyist and i'm proud of it.
    PappyVW23:

I didn't say the BTAC and Van Winkle products weren't worth it; I said the search for said products was no longer worth it to me. Like you, I enjoy the whiskies of both makers very much; I'm just not willing to expend an entire weekend looking and hunting it down anymore. Yes, I have a phone and yes I speak to the retailers. I've also contacted distillers in search of particular products, too. The only attitude I display is one of disappointment at not being able to find a whiskey, certainly not anger or haughtiness.

As for being hobbyists, I'm certainly in favor of them. Indeed, by being members of this forum we're all hobbyists at some level. Hobbyists have brought us more and varied bottlings that really are worth drinking by increasing demand. However, my problem is that I just wish there were FEWER hobbyists in my area, LOL! I would like to be able to buy said products a little more easily.

That being said, I will just settle for my old favorites and not worry about the "popular" ones unless they are available in one of my local stores...and quit reading the posts on this forum about release dates for BTAC and Van Winkle!

Virtuoso

I don't put a ton of work into it but I picked up WLW, Handy, and Saz 18 last year.

This year I'll probably skip the BTAC but it's a financial decision. I have two kids in daycare this fall and my entertainment budget favors the <$20 bottles. And I'm okay with that.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by StraightNoChaser View Post
    I didn't know Bourbon Hipster was actually a thing until this thread
    I've heard ankle stranglers can aid in your ability to run to the aisle and grab all you can. However; my pants have bigger pockets and can hold more. Damn you liquor stores that provide a cart!

I can sympathize with not joining the fervor that surrounds the yearly releases of BTAC and the Van Winkle products. I understand their marketing strategy, but it would be nice to have a product of their quality available year round. I agree with fitzharry that there are plenty of reasonably priced brands of whiskey that can be purchased without having to search any farther than your closest liquor store. In fact some labels (OWA) are down right steals IMO. So count me in the camp that will purchase these limited releases if available, but I won't scour where I live to hopefully find one.

Quote Originally Posted by thezenone View Post
    I can sympathize with not joining the fervor that surrounds the yearly releases of BTAC and the Van Winkle products. I understand their marketing strategy, but it would be nice to have a product of their quality available year round. I agree with fitzharry that there are plenty of reasonably priced brands of whiskey that can be purchased without having to search any farther than your closest liquor store. In fact some labels (OWA) are down right steals IMO. So count me in the camp that will purchase these limited releases if available, but I won't scour where I live to hopefully find one.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    My BTAC chase ended this year as I have tired of battling the ebay flippers and profiteers.

You are correct that there is plenty of great bourbon out there that doesn't require maximum effort and exquisite timing to procure.
    I agree.

And so on, and so on.......

Pretty much everyone makes valid points. The only thing(s) I'll add, is that we only have ourselves to blame. We perpetuate the truths and myths, and even the unknown about the Pappy bottlings, and the BTAC. We raise questions, and there is interest. We sing its praises and give it huzzahs, and that in turn raises interest. Seems to me we propagate everything ourselves. The end justifies the means I guess. We give the lurkers and profiteers all the ammunition they need so as to profit from our mistakes. Sad but true.

As for me, I won't be looking all that much anymore, but if I find some, so be it. I might grab a bottle or two. What the heck? Either way, I have more than enough stuff in my cabinet to last me the rest of my life. Heck, I just finished a Pappy 15 as I was typing this. Cheers Y'all! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

I agree that the whole thing has become rather silly. I hear horror stories from retailers about how tough it is for them, which prompted me to come up with this plan for my imaginary liquor store:

Unfortunately, it is simply not always possible to please the neurotic, OCD, border line paranoid-schitzophrenics who make up our dedicated customer base. We already have 10.5 million people on our standby list for the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection and the fall releases of Pappy Van Winkle. We have just been notified by Buffalo Trace that we will only be getting one bottle of each of these, so there will, unfortunately, not be enough for everyone. Therefore, we have come up with what we think is a fair way to distribute these very coveted bottles.

Step 1: Lottery. We will pick 150,000 names out of a hat. This will involve the procurement of a very large hat.

Step 2: Quiz. Each of the people who are picked out of a hat will be sent a detailed quiz about these bourbons. Please be familiar with the mashbills, provenance, romantic histories of the various brand ambassadors and other characteristics of these whiskeys.

Step 3: Triatholon. The 10,258 best scorers on the quiz will compete in a triatholon.

Step 4: Cage Match. The top two competitors in the triatholon will engage in a cage match. The winner of the cage match will get the bottle. If it is a tie, the tie will be broken by a game of backgammon.

Remember, you can sign up for more than one bottle, but you will have to participate in each step for every bottle you sign up for, even Eagle Rare 17.

The good news is that everyone who participates gets a free bottle of Rain Vodka!

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2011/...alo-trace.html

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    I agree that the whole thing has become rather silly. I hear horror stories from retailers about how tough it is for them, which prompted me to come up with this plan for my imaginary liquor store:

Unfortunately, it is simply not always possible to please the neurotic, OCD, border line paranoid-schitzophrenics who make up our dedicated customer base. We already have 10.5 million people on our standby list for the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection and the fall releases of Pappy Van Winkle. We have just been notified by Buffalo Trace that we will only be getting one bottle of each of these, so there will, unfortunately, not be enough for everyone. Therefore, we have come up with what we think is a fair way to distribute these very coveted bottles.

Step 1: Lottery. We will pick 150,000 names out of a hat. This will involve the procurement of a very large hat.

Step 2: Quiz. Each of the people who are picked out of a hat will be sent a detailed quiz about these bourbons. Please be familiar with the mashbills, provenance, romantic histories of the various brand ambassadors and other characteristics of these whiskeys.

Step 3: Triatholon. The 10,258 best scorers on the quiz will compete in a triatholon.

Step 4: Cage Match. The top two competitors in the triatholon will engage in a cage match. The winner of the cage match will get the bottle. If it is a tie, the tie will be broken by a game of backgammon.

Remember, you can sign up for more than one bottle, but you will have to participate in each step for every bottle you sign up for, even Eagle Rare 17.

The good news is that everyone who participates gets a free bottle of Rain Vodka!

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2011/...alo-trace.html
    Hahahahahaha! Yes!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by fitzharry View Post
    I see your point. As I said, I don't really mind paying a higher price for bourbon (or anything else, for that matter) if it's something that I really want. My problem is that the fervor of the BTAC or Van Winkle believers drives those products from the shelf. Sure, it's supply and demand; I realize that. But I can also walk into my local store and find plenty of high-demand (and expensive!) Laphroaig Cask Strength and Highland Park 18 on the shelf...but no William Larue Weller, Stagg, or Van Winkle.

It's not that I don't like the BTAC and Van Winkle products: I certainly do. It's just that I've lost the desire to run around like a chicken with my head cut off looking for the stuff. That's why I'm sticking with the Old Charter, Old Weller 107, Old Grand-Dad, and George Dickel No. 12, and hope that maybe someday the BTAC and Van Winkle will eventually...finally...make a somewhat regular appearance on my local liquor retailers' shelves.
    If Laphroaig Cask Strength and Highland Park 18 were in high-demand they wouldn't be on the shelf now would they?

People enjoy BTAC and VW products because they're really good whiskies at a fair price point (VW more then BTAC) hence why they get them when they can find them. If you don't want to run around with like a "chicken with your head cut off" then don't...it doesn't make people who enjoy the hunt wrong...
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

just picked up another wlw and a stagg. probably my last purchases of the 2011 BTAC. now i can concentrate on the pappy.

i left an er17 and several thomas handy ryes on the shelf!!