Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 175
  1. #41
    Taster
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    69

    Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

    Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    If Laphroaig Cask Strength and Highland Park 18 were in high-demand they wouldn't be on the shelf now would they?

    People enjoy BTAC and VW products because they're really good whiskies at a fair price point (VW more then BTAC) hence why they get them when they can find them. If you don't want to run around with like a "chicken with your head cut off" then don't...it doesn't make people who enjoy the hunt wrong...
    I think the reason for the greater availability of the Laphroaig and Highland Park is due to greater production. I remember reading that some of the BTAC production is based on sometimes as few as 80 barrels per release, I think. But the two single malts are still in demand despite the much larger production.

    Again, I didn't say that someone else who enjoys the hunt for BTAC and Van Winkle is wrong; in fact, more power to them. I just said that I'm not personally going to spend my time driving around looking for them like I used to do.

  2. #42
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    1,470

    Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

    The really irritating thing for me is not being able to find the bottles AND seeing them pop up on eBay. Knowing that some jerks snatched up all of the bottles just to flip when there are genuine enthusiasts looking and coming up empty is infuriating.
    I've tried chatting up some retailers around here but the usual response has been, "Yeah, there's about 100 other people looking for those, too. Good luck." The 2 or 3 that actually offered to take my number never called. Oh well. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. Right now I just don't have time to chase these things down. Maybe later when I'm finished with school. Until then, there's plenty of other great bourbon out there to enjoy!
    -Brian-

    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

  3. #43
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kentucky!
    Posts
    4,750

    Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    when people such as myself were 11 and thinking more about chocolate milk than whiskey.
    I blame the parents for such thoughts.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

    As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

    I'm no Pappyophile

  4. #44
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    469

    Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

    Quote Originally Posted by StraightNoChaser View Post
    I didn't know Bourbon Hipster was actually a thing until this thread
    Hey - I resemble that remark!

    I'm just pleased to be any kind of hipster...

    I have to say, however, that of the batch of bourbons/rye's that are coveted:

    Saz 18 - no other late teen rye on the market with regular production. It's a one of a kind, especially at $70-80. It's much easier to find than Vintage 21 & PVWFRR (which are the only real competitors at a similar price). Good stuff - but I'll pick up a Vintage 21 at/near that price over it every time; same with Pappy's Rye (as if I'll see it again...)

    Thomas H Handy - with the exception of the Party Source's AB Rye, there's not another barrel strength, young (good) rye on the market. That said, there's NO reason this shouldn't/couldn't be a year-round release at this point. I'll buy it, but I think it's "rarity" is a marketing myth and it should be a $50 bottle year round.

    GT Stagg - I can't name another teenage bourbon with this much fire & brimstone going, but I can name a few that come really close. Good, worth the buy - but not the hunt.

    WL Weller - I've grown displeased with this one. I like it, but I'd rather have Weller Centennial back, or even Vintage Bourbon 17. I've got 2 in the bunker, and will pass if I see it...

    Eagle Rare 17 - why is this on any list? I've had some $25 indy bottlings of ER10 that blow doors off the BTAC version...

    When it comes to Pappy stuff, however, the rarity is just flat out frustrating - because it's ALL good to essentially great.

    The ORVW, The Lot B and The Pappy 15 are all standouts in their age brackets, and each is "reasonably" priced. I've never paid over $60 for Pappy 15, and at that proof it's a bargain. I don't mess with the 20/23 year stuff - too pricey.

    The Pappy Rye is easily the juiciest, sweetest, spiciest and most enjoyable rye on the market (to me). Too bad it's so damn rare and limited... I can only hope the replacement they are aging-up at BT will come close to this quality. TH Handy & Baby Saz sure are good - but can't see them becoming THAT good... fingers crossed.

  5. #45
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,872

    Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

    Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Hey - I resemble that remark!

    I'm just pleased to be any kind of hipster...

    I have to say, however, that of the batch of bourbons/rye's that are coveted:

    Saz 18 - no other late teen rye on the market with regular production. It's a one of a kind, especially at $70-80. It's much easier to find than Vintage 21 & PVWFRR (which are the only real competitors at a similar price). Good stuff - but I'll pick up a Vintage 21 at/near that price over it every time; same with Pappy's Rye (as if I'll see it again...)

    Thomas H Handy - with the exception of the Party Source's AB Rye, there's not another barrel strength, young (good) rye on the market. That said, there's NO reason this shouldn't/couldn't be a year-round release at this point. I'll buy it, but I think it's "rarity" is a marketing myth and it should be a $50 bottle year round.

    GT Stagg - I can't name another teenage bourbon with this much fire & brimstone going, but I can name a few that come really close. Good, worth the buy - but not the hunt.

    WL Weller - I've grown displeased with this one. I like it, but I'd rather have Weller Centennial back, or even Vintage Bourbon 17. I've got 2 in the bunker, and will pass if I see it...

    Eagle Rare 17 - why is this on any list? I've had some $25 indy bottlings of ER10 that blow doors off the BTAC version...

    When it comes to Pappy stuff, however, the rarity is just flat out frustrating - because it's ALL good to essentially great.

    The ORVW, The Lot B and The Pappy 15 are all standouts in their age brackets, and each is "reasonably" priced. I've never paid over $60 for Pappy 15, and at that proof it's a bargain. I don't mess with the 20/23 year stuff - too pricey.

    The Pappy Rye is easily the juiciest, sweetest, spiciest and most enjoyable rye on the market (to me). Too bad it's so damn rare and limited... I can only hope the replacement they are aging-up at BT will come close to this quality. TH Handy & Baby Saz sure are good - but can't see them becoming THAT good... fingers crossed.
    Great post, Tim. I'm with you on virtually all counts. You may want to check out Michter's 10 YO Rye, as it is tasty juice and is believed to be much, much older than its age statement.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

  6. #46
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Massillon, Oh.
    Posts
    1,258

    Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

    I've never tasted Pappy in any form. I've never tasted Stagg. I probably never will. I also don't care. Anything that is that hard to get isn't worth my time to bother with.

    If I can't go to the store and buy it, I'm sure as hell not going to spend countless hours trying to get it. There are many different Bourbons, Scotches and Irish to be had and enjoyed with a simple trip to the store and a purchase.

  7. #47
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NE OH
    Posts
    1,784

    Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

    Post of the week. Many Internets to award here. I only quoted my favorite bits so on to the awards:

    HANDY +7 Internets.

    This is my favorite SB meme. Please BT make it so! I'd go buy a case of Handy tomorrow if I could get it for $50 even if it was generally regularly available.

    WL Weller +10 Internets.

    Centennial remains my favorite bourbon ever. I'm drinking 2010 WLW right now and I like it alot but not as much as I would like having 1 and 2/3 bottles of Centennial. ($70 WLW vs. $40 Centennial)

    VWFRR + 8 Internets.

    Best Rye I've ever had and best VW product IMO.

    Thomas H Handy - with the exception of the Party Source's AB Rye, there's not another barrel strength, young (good) rye on the market. That said, there's NO reason this shouldn't/couldn't be a year-round release at this point. I'll buy it, but I think it's "rarity" is a marketing myth and it should be a $50 bottle year round.

    WL Weller - I've grown displeased with this one. I like it, but I'd rather have Weller Centennial back, or even Vintage Bourbon 17. I've got 2 in the bunker, and will pass if I see it...

    The Pappy Rye is easily the juiciest, sweetest, spiciest and most enjoyable rye on the market (to me). Too bad it's so damn rare and limited... I can only hope the replacement they are aging-up at BT will come close to this quality. TH Handy & Baby Saz sure are good - but can't see them becoming THAT good... fingers crossed.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

    GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

  8. #48
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    264

    Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

    Speaking of nonsense....for the hell of it finally went on ebay to see how prices really were for these including the pappy 15 and 20.

    There are A LOT of stupid people out there. Not because they pay money, extreme money for all of this but I just watched on auction for a 20 year old bottle and it ended for $295 which is absolutely insane. Insane because there are 3 other auctions I see right now where someone could have bought it now for $190 and $240. My god people, id sell mine if I knew I could get it for $295.

  9. #49
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NE OH
    Posts
    1,784

    Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

    Quote Originally Posted by autiger23 View Post
    Speaking of nonsense....for the hell of it finally went on ebay to see how prices really were for these including the pappy 15 and 20.

    There are A LOT of stupid people out there. Not because they pay money, extreme money for all of this but I just watched on auction for a 20 year old bottle and it ended for $295 which is absolutely insane. Insane because there are 3 other auctions I see right now where someone could have bought it now for $190 and $240. My god people, id sell mine if I knew I could get it for $295.
    One of my favorite threads on another fourm I am on is titled "stupid people on <auction site x>"

    It's great fun. I think we need one here.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

    GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

  10. #50
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    264

    Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

    Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    One of my favorite threads on another fourm I am on is titled "stupid people on <auction site x>"

    It's great fun. I think we need one here.
    Mindblowing after I saw that.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Van Winkle 13yr. vs. Van Winkle 12yr.
    By drfred in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-03-2002, 13:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top