Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: BTAC and Van Winkle nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by B.B. Babington View Post
    There is a marked difference in older Saz18 vs latest releases. I was fortunate to score two older bottles and it was truely amazing, like wow, like unbelievable. I sold one to a friend and now try to get her last half bottle back.
    Interesting! I'll keep that in mind next time I see one on the shelf!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

There is a marked difference in older Saz18 vs latest releases. I was fortunate to score two older bottles and it was truely amazing, like wow, like unbelievable. I sold one to a friend and now try to get her last half bottle back.

Which year did you have?

Connoisseur
    Probably the 2008 that Jim Murray fell out of his chair over?

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Interesting! I'll keep that in mind next time I see one on the shelf!
    People blame the time in tank. Since it went to stainless, some feel that it's losing it's edge, although Hansell seems to feel that it's getting better, based on his reviews.

Tell ya what, while I don't think Saz18 is the best stuff out there, I would say that "boring" may be a bit much, but what can I say to someone who doesn't understand the joy of WT101Rye?

Guru

OK, I'll come clean, the only one I've had was one at ACDetroit's house and that was 2-3 years ago. Knowing Tony, it was probably a fairly early release. It did not fare well next to the other stuff I tried that night, including a black Label Old Rip of some sort and an ETL BUB.

As for the WT rye, I'd rather watch another LSU/Bama game than drink that again...
    Last edited by Josh; 11-07-2011 at 18:37.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    Which year did you have?
    Bottled 2001. Distilled 1983. This Saz18 is one of the best whiskeys/whiskys I've ever had.

Enthusiast

Bottled 2001. Distilled 1983. This Saz18 is one of the best whiskeys/whiskys I've ever had.
    I would like to try that one. Do you have any of the newer releases to compare it to? I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    ...Do you have any of the newer releases to compare it to?...
    Just newer steel tank stuff. My experience with Saz18 is limited. But there is a world of difference between the 2001 and the new stuff; two completely different beverages. The new stuff is good, but the old is very complex, lots of different flavors exploding all at the same time. Though I do enjoy more simple whiskeys and relish the odd ones, it's the rare few with complexity that really grab my attention.

Enthusiast

I'm on board with FitzHarry. My journey has taken me right back to where I started: mid shelfers. For a while it was fun chasing hard-to-find bottles but eventually I realized that I rarely drink the "good stuff" and I no longer care about having them in the cabinet.

Hopefully several of them will find new homes soon.

last week I found the entire BTAC collection in a local store for $75.99 per and left them all where they lay. The 2011 this-or-that may be the best bourbon that ever hit the shelves, but I'll be just fine without it.
    I come here because you people make me feel normal.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    I agree that the whole thing has become rather silly. I hear horror stories from retailers about how tough it is for them, which prompted me to come up with this plan for my imaginary liquor store:

Unfortunately, it is simply not always possible to please the neurotic, OCD, border line paranoid-schitzophrenics who make up our dedicated customer base. We already have 10.5 million people on our standby list for the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection and the fall releases of Pappy Van Winkle. We have just been notified by Buffalo Trace that we will only be getting one bottle of each of these, so there will, unfortunately, not be enough for everyone. Therefore, we have come up with what we think is a fair way to distribute these very coveted bottles.

Step 1: Lottery. We will pick 150,000 names out of a hat. This will involve the procurement of a very large hat.

Step 2: Quiz. Each of the people who are picked out of a hat will be sent a detailed quiz about these bourbons. Please be familiar with the mashbills, provenance, romantic histories of the various brand ambassadors and other characteristics of these whiskeys.

Step 3: Triatholon. The 10,258 best scorers on the quiz will compete in a triatholon.

Step 4: Cage Match. The top two competitors in the triatholon will engage in a cage match. The winner of the cage match will get the bottle. If it is a tie, the tie will be broken by a game of backgammon.

Remember, you can sign up for more than one bottle, but you will have to participate in each step for every bottle you sign up for, even Eagle Rare 17.

The good news is that everyone who participates gets a free bottle of Rain Vodka!

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2011/...alo-trace.html
    That Rain vodka is very popular with a certain board member. You might start a new craze!
    I come here because you people make me feel normal.