Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    **DONOTDELETE**

Re: \"Straight\" vs. \"Bonded\"

Hi Ken,

Actually, I think the Sazerac rye managed to slip out from under the covers quite awhile before the others did (it was being mentioned in publications nearly a year before the public release of all three). At that time, the writers spoke of it as a product to be released "sometime in the future". I don't think it was bottled yet; they may have been tasting samples directly from the barrel for all I know. Anyway, it wasn't I who was expressing "outrage"; I was only pointing out how passionately some members felt. Frankly, I feel everyone on the forum's missed the boat on the how WELL the three whiskey's were packaged for bourbon enthusiasts, especially new ones. Having a wheat bourbon, a rye bourbon, and a full rye, all in essentially identical packaging, all at similar (and advanced) age, all at the exact same reasonable price, and ALL AT THE SAME PROOF invites just the sort of comparisons a bourbonhead would WANT a "newbie" to make. A set of all three (isn't it cute that they all just happen to come in cases of three bottles?) makes an outstanding gift for someone starting out on the learning trail. Heck, maybe BT should package them up as a "right of passage" gift for twenty-one-year-olds.

By the way, I've recently come upon some examples that have, shall we say, lessened my conviction that Bottled-In-Bond is any kind of quality indicator. I decided to fill a small shelf with Heaven Hill bottlings. Heaven Hill makes some of the most outstanding bourbon available, but it bottles it as Evan Williams and Elijah Craig, and sells it to marketers who bottle in under many other names. For some reason, what it bottles under its own name is far below that quality. Your own company used to do the same thing, with just about all of your bourbons being far higher quality that regular Ancient Age. Beam does it, too. What is this, some kind of weird bourbon tradition? Anyway, for those outside of Kentucky who may not be familiar with them, there are about half a dozen different bottlings of Heaven Hill, three of which are 100-proof Bottled-in-Bond, and all of which are as close to awful as I can remember ever tasting. So now I'll agree that BIB doesn't necessarily mean good, and maybe the public perception is the result of that; but it still seems like that perception has been intentionally induced by the bourbonmakers.

We are very much looking forward to Friday.

=John=
    http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Honesty in the Marketplace

Ken,

You know this whole bottled in bond thing is to somehow enforce some modicum of honesty in the marketplace. It does not make the bourbon any better. It really does not make liers tell the truth. Those that would tell the largest lies do so with a donkey's tail at their backs. The bourbon is the bourbon is the bourbon. No mater how many lies are told or how honest the distiller may be * Blanton's* always tastes damn good! Tell all the lies you like, just don't change a thing! *But don't charge me for them*!!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Advanced Taster

Hello, John. I must agree with you on the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection. In a mbx to Ken Weber I told ken I had in my hands a bottle of his Hancock Presidents Reserve and but the bottle back on the shelf and took another bottle of the 19yr Weller back to Florida wwith me. Since back here I have had the opportunity to try all 3 of there Whiskeys and it was indeed a wonderfull treat if not a passage for me. I would love to see them in the future maybe try and market a git box with one of each in them. Since trying these I have placed additional orders for these items and look foward to future bottlings. There new Eagle Rare 10yr Single Barrel will also be in the arian wine bottle. Mine arrived here in Florida today and I will get them tomorrow. Hope you like yours. I look foward to reading about your visit to Buffalo Trace. Creggor

Novice

According to what I was reading on the history of whiskey, from ecarta, your first statement was right. A blend of whiskeys from the same distillery and the same production time is considered legal. It makes sense when you think about it. It would be the same thing if you were cooking your own version of spaggetti and you blended your own spices, but it is still called spagetti and it your own version, produced at your own time and it is still called spagetti. I am a novice and really have no business tying to give advice. This is stricly an opinion and a comment. Forgive me of my lack of knowledge.

The Man from Missouri

**DONOTDELETE**

I just thought that I'd bump this thread because it is pertinente to the Single Barrel Henry McKenna Bottled In Bond discussion.

Linn Spencer

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I just completed an article about bonds for Malt Advocate, which I guess will be published in April. It may clear up a few things.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: "Straight" vs. "Bonded"

Good! I'm glad to hear it Chuck. The latest issue of Malt Advocate was a flat out disapointment. No Chuck Cowdery article!

The Regans have a regular column entitled 'American Spirit'. I have yet to read where they have actually written anything on an American whiskey in this space. Gary's latest foray into the absurdity of the teaspoon universe is amusing, but that's not an article on American whiskey.

I'm going to suggest to John Hansel that he would better serve mankind if that column belonged to you.

Linn Spencer

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Please don't hassle Hansell on my account.

Unfortunately, I suspect the overall audience for the magazine is probably 45% interested in scotch, 45% interested in beer and 10% interested in American Whiskey, so the fact that they cover it at all is to be commended.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

**DONOTDELETE**

No Chuck I intend to hassle Hansell because his magazine has largely been a waste of my money. This is information he needs to know. If anyone else has been disappointed in the Malt Advocate this is a good time to clue John Hansell in. For those of you that may be thinking about subscribing I recomend you hold off until the magazine improves.

Linn Spencer

**DONOTDELETE**

Here's a bump for DeWanzo!

Linn Spencer