Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Woodford Master's Collection Rye

I started a new thread because the subject line of the existing one is misleading.

I tasted the new Woodford Reserve Master's Collection Ryes today. They're really good and unlike anything you've ever tasted.

On the other hand, it's two 375 ml bottles for $100.

More to come.

Connoisseur

Re: Woodford Master's Collection Rye

Excellent teaser! Thanks Chuck.

Disciple

Nice.

I'll be buying 3 sets. Can never have enough!
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Virtuoso

Unlike anything you've ever tasted...in a good way?

I'm torn on these. I really love rye and am interested in tasting their take on it. Am I correct that this would be the only Brown-Forman produced rye?

But, I never met a Woodford Master's Collection bottle that I didn't despise, so I'm skeptical.

That being said, if Chuck says this one is different, that may be enough for me to justify grabbing them.
    Last edited by sku; 10-25-2011 at 23:12.

I like the Master's Collection. I think it's exactly the kind of experimental program a major company/major brand should do. That's not to say other companies do it wrong, I just like the way Woodford does it very much.

But MC haters may not like this. I'm not saying it's a departure from the Master's Collection series. I'm saying the Straight Rye Whiskey version is unlike any rye you've tasted, and very good, and the Rye Mash (used cooperage whiskey) is unique.

Woodford broke one of its own MC rules, in that it changed more than one variable. In addition to being aged in new barrels, the straight rye was barrel entered at 100 proof while the rye mash whiskey was barrel entered at 86 proof.

Think of it as low barrel entry and extremely low barrel entry.

We've had 95% rye but not 100% (rye malt was used) and although they're not telling the age it's in the 7-8 year range, maybe more. It's 100% pot distilled, of course, and there are some other differences in the way it was made. The result is two very different takes on rye. Just when you think you know what rye tastes like, this comes along.

I can't predict whether or not you will like it, but I can assure you that you will learn something from it.

This is the first step in the direction of Woodford being a whiskey distillery that makes more than bourbon. Like all MC releases, it is 100% pot still.

The Brown-Forman Distillery in Shively made Rittenhouse Rye for Heaven Hill for about ten years, but this is completely different.

The 2-pack should start to appear in stores in a week or two.
    Last edited by cowdery; 10-26-2011 at 15:32.

Virtuoso

Sounds interesting for sure. I'm anxious to taste both of them.
    What percentage Rye was/is Old Portrero? I thought it was 100% Rye but my memory sucks. One was used cooperage (18th cent.) and one was/is new barrels(19th) if I recall.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I'll definately be grabbing one if I can source it through one of the online stores as I doubt we'll see them in Australia.... or, they'll be like the the Maple Wood Finish and over $200 each

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Sounds interesting for sure. I'm anxious to taste both of them.
    What percentage Rye was/is Old Portrero? I thought it was 100% Rye but my memory sucks. One was used cooperage (18th cent.) and one was/is new barrels(19th) if I recall.
    Potrero is always 100% Rye Malt, with the 18th Century going into new, toasted barrels, while the 19th Century is in new, charred oak. Both are also out of a Pot Still. So yes, we've seen it before.

The difference is that while both are 100% rye, Potrero is all malted rye, whereas WRMC is mostly unmalted rye.

Virtuoso
    I just found this for $49 at a local store. I wasn't keen on getting at the MSRP but this is too good of a deal to pass up! I'll try to post an opinion later