Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Disciple

Rum from Nicaragua

I've evidently got a couple of bottles of premium Nicaraguan rums headed my way from some long lost relatives in Central America. My rum experience is limited to the commercial stuff that I mixed with softdrinks in my college days. Flor de Cana is the only brand I can identify being Nicaraguan, which I don't think I've ever tried.

Anything in particular I should be hoping for? Are there any distinguishing features of rum from Nicaragua that anyone is aware of?

TYIA

Virtuoso

Re: Rum from Nicaragua

I've only ever had one Nicaraguan rum, so I can't say if it was representative of the region at all. Also it was a sample pour at a liquor store, so not a lot of time spent, and I recall nothing about the brand name, etc.

It was aged, something like 7 years old if memory serves. The nose was full of varnish and auto body shop aromas, like I sometimes find in middle aged bourbons. The palate was not terribly complex, but it was tasty. It wasn't overly sweet. It bore some resemblance to a mid-level cognac, especially on the finish.

Please put up some notes when you've had a chance to taste these!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    I've only ever had one Nicaraguan rum, so I can't say if it was representative of the region at all. Also it was a sample pour at a liquor store, so not a lot of time spent, and I recall nothing about the brand name, etc.

It was aged, something like 7 years old if memory serves. The nose was full of varnish and auto body shop aromas, like I sometimes find in middle aged bourbons. The palate was not terribly complex, but it was tasty. It wasn't overly sweet. It bore some resemblance to a mid-level cognac, especially on the finish.

Please put up some notes when you've had a chance to taste these!
    Will do. I probably won't have my hands on them until Thanksgiving.

Disciple

It did turn out to be the "Centenario" from Flor de Cana, the 12 year release.

Not being a rum drinker, my tasting notes are probably poor, but I definitely got a lot of vanilla and a hint of chocolate. It was sweet, but not in a overpowering sense. The finish was bourbon-esqe, but without the pepper or oak flavors I generally crave. It was remarkably smooth, with no bite or any offensive flavors at all, but wasn't overly complex. Definitely worth a sample, but isn't going to make me abandon whiskey for rum.