Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Greetings from Dallas

Hello all!

I am new to the Bourbon world (and Whisk(e)y in general) but I have attended a few tastings and am very much enjoying learning about Bourbon and what I personally like. The getting started guide posted here is EXTREMELY helpful!

Speaking of tastings - I would love to hear about any tastings people know about in the DFW area!

Anyway - I am looking forward to joining the discussion here at sb. I haven't had a chance to sample many of the Bourbons out there but I can't wait to get to it

FYI - My faves I have had so far were an Eagle Rare 10 Yr Single Barrel and a Jefferson's Reserve Very Old Small Batch. I do want to try some Wheated styles next so suggestions are very welcome!

Connoisseur

Re: Greetings from Dallas

The only ER I have tried was a .375 Majestic Liquor's selection. It was really good, and I look forward to another some day.

Wheaters to try would be good old Weller, 3 expressions - Old Weller Antique, Special Reserve, and Weller 12.

I love Weller 12, OWA is great, and SR I can take or leave. If it was my only option I wouldn't complain though.

Bernheim is another wheater, and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting about.

Enjoy every drink!

Disciple

Welcome aboard. Eagle Rare has been very good to me lately as well. You should definitely try some different varities, but as is said regularly around here, don't try to climb the shelf too far too fast. There are some excellent values around the ER level, and you should try a number of them before spending a lot of money on something you might not be able to appreciate.

Enthusiast

if you love ER, go to the Whiskey Cake restaurant (in Plano off the tollway) and try their single barrel selection. It's amazing - and I'm not typically fond of Eagle Rare.

What part of town are you located in? There's a ton of places to check out, and there's always some great tastings to be found.

Sign-up for the emails from the major liquor chains (especially Sigels) to get the scoop on what's up. Seems like myself and StraightNoChaser have been to at least a tasting (Bourbon or Scotch) about once a week for the past few months. There's two Laphroaig tastings next week here (Dallas at Sigels/Addison, and a free dinner in Ft. Worth).

Also get the Trinity Hall email (Mockingbird/Central) they do (paid) tastings the first Tues. of each month - six different pours with some really outstanding food. They cover the whisk(e)y gamut from Irish to Scotch to Bourbon.

Welcome aboard - and hope to see you around at some of the events! Feel free to drop me a PM if you want any more info - but there's a great Dallas community of whiskey lovers!

Virtuoso

What tastings have you attended lately?

Welcome aboard I hope you enjoy your time here, stop by chat some time. Need to clear something up as there is some confusion Bernheim is wheat whiskey not a wheater bourbon.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

I did not know that about Berhneim, thanks!

Novice

Thanks for all the information - Extremely helpful!

I live in off 75 near south Richardson so I have pretty easy to most of the metroplex.

I have been to a few tastings at Sigels, but my favorite place is Trinity Hall. Great pours, people, and food!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by jdthompson25 View Post
    Thanks for all the information - Extremely helpful!

I live in off 75 near south Richardson so I have pretty easy to most of the metroplex.

I have been to a few tastings at Sigels, but my favorite place is Trinity Hall. Great pours, people, and food!
    Wonderful, you've probably seen Tim and I, we've been to all those events (minus the Glenfiddich at TH).

Are you going to catch the Laphroaig tasting Tuesday at Sigel's?

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by StraightNoChaser View Post
    Wonderful, you've probably seen Tim and I, we've been to all those events (minus the Glenfiddich at TH).

Are you going to catch the Laphroaig tasting Tuesday at Sigel's?
    Sadly I'm not! But I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for others.