Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Disciple

Re: Old Forester BIB vs. Signature

Quote Originally Posted by mosugoji64 View Post
    Picked up a bottle of the BIB and gave it a couple of tries. It has a LOT of that old bourbon, spiced rum flavor. Normally I like that, but it's completely overpowering in this bottle. It's not bad, but about half way through a pour I find myself saying, "Enough." I think I'll try vatting this with some other things to see what I can come up with. It has potential.
    So is your BIB distilled at DSP-414 or DSP-354? Some of us here think that makes a differerence. My taste experience is that the DSP-414's are some of the rummiest of the dusty rum tasting bourbons. I also regard Signature as a very good bourbon and its difference from the DSP-414 dusties highlight what is different about the older versus modern bourbon profile.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Virtuoso

It was distilled at DSP-354. The bottle is stamped 95, though I know that may not accurately indicate the bottling date. So, the 414s had more rum flavor than this? OF must have been the rum drinker's go-to bourbon!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Disciple

I remember a famous philosopher once said that 414>354, and I will agree. The OFBIB from the 70s is DAMN hard to beat even when put against the best of them.