Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Taster

State run Liquor Stores in WA

Will soon be out of business due to I 1183 the state finally gets out of the booze business. I am hoping that we will start to get some of the good juice that I see is available elsewhere.

Connoisseur

Re: State run Liquor Stores in WA

The only Bourbon I can’t find in WA comes from such small distilleries that I don’t expect much of a change in that area. I imagine I am still going to have to cozy up to some manager somewhere to try and land a Van Winkle or Stagg. I wish they would open us back up to the mail order business, I don’t know if this change will allow for that or not? And the day I can go to Costco and buy a bottle as cheap as I did in AZ will be a shock, even with the State out of the direct business they will still find a way to get their tax in there to keep the price up like the automatic 17% markup that comes with the bill. I think the change makes sense, but I think it helps the retailers (which I am all for) more than the selective consumer.
    Last edited by T47; 11-09-2011 at 08:30.
    Todd

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by T47 View Post
    The only Bourbon I canít find in WA comes from such small distilleries that I donít expect much of a change in that area. I imagine I am still going to have to cozy up to some manager somewhere to try and land a Van Winkle or Stagg. I wish they would open us back up to the mail order business, I donít know if this change will allow for that or not? And the day I can go to Costco and buy a bottle as cheap as I did in AZ will be a shock, even with the State out of the direct business they will still find a way to get their tax in there to keep the price up like the automatic 17% markup that comes with the bill. I think the change makes sense, but I think it helps the retailers (which I am all for) more than the selective consumer.
    NH has a similar system and it is a double edge sword. Here the prices are relatively low but availability on some of the specialty items and hard to find stuff is maddening at times. If it opens up to mail order my bank account would take a signifigant hit. There are many things on my buy upon sight list that I just don't have access too.

Anyhow, I hope this works out for you and the rest of the bourbonians in WA.

Quote Originally Posted by T47 View Post
    The only Bourbon I canít find in WA comes from such small distilleries that I donít expect much of a change in that area. I imagine I am still going to have to cozy up to some manager somewhere to try and land a Van Winkle or Stagg. I wish they would open us back up to the mail order business, I donít know if this change will allow for that or not? And the day I can go to Costco and buy a bottle as cheap as I did in AZ will be a shock, even with the State out of the direct business they will still find a way to get their tax in there to keep the price up like the automatic 17% markup that comes with the bill. I think the change makes sense, but I think it helps the retailers (which I am all for) more than the selective consumer.
    My Bro in Vancouver gets deliveries from CA. Pays no Ca or WA tax. Even with s/h it is still a Lot cheaper.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by buckey929 View Post
    My Bro in Vancouver gets deliveries from CA. Pays no Ca or WA tax. Even with s/h it is still a Lot cheaper.
    If he gets deliveries from CA it likely has been subject to CA taxation.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasonsÖ that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    If he gets deliveries from CA it likely has been subject to CA taxation.

Still illegal here in WA even if that is the case. I was informed by Binnys of the technicalities a couple years ago when I tried to order. I doubt the State would bother with small purchases; I don’t understand why they don’t just add their tax on top of the order and allow it? There are only a handful of bottles I would like to have access to with a little more regularity,but I am glad there are a lot of bottles to enjoy while I wait!
    Last edited by T47; 11-13-2011 at 21:00.
    Todd

Taster

I have never been able to order from CA but I have from a couple of other states.

Connoisseur

While visiting the Liquor store today I asked if they expected and Pappy Van Winkle in anytime soon. The clerk said, "It came in and the State sent it all back, saying they are no longer in the Business, I guess its their way of screwing the voters back".
    I really dont believe him, just thought its going to be an interesting 7 months until the State is finally out of the business. Ultimately I think its best for the State to be out of the business, I guess we will see come June.
    Todd

Taster

Yah, he's totally misinformed. Some of my friends in the liquor business have confirmed BTAC and Van Winkle are still coming. I do think they restricted it to just state stores though, not contract stores which kind of sucks.

Finding rare bottles is a game in misinformation. Many liquor store employees just have no clue and give a variety of differening excuses. "The Parkers 50th? No that was gone at the distillary within a week, all selling for $500+" or "There's a store in Montana which just has Van Winkle year round but it's never been in the state" or "There are only 3 types of Four Roses bottles."

I will miss the (often outdated but still state wide) search function on the state website. But I think after a year or so a few contract stores will be able to offer a better selection than the state did.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
    Most liquor store employees just have no clue and give a variety of differening excuses.
    Fixed that for you Chris.

So glad to have the state out of the liquor business! Gone, just like the dinosaurs. Now we will see what the free market can do for us. I think it will take a year or two for them to figure it out, but it will be so much better than the current system.

Yeah, really going to miss that crappy state website that was useful for one day a month and even then it was mostly outdated.

I'm glad I have all my wine business contacts in the area. Going tomorrow to meet and greet the new sellers of spirits. Gotta prep for the Fall 2012 releases.

Bye, bye WSLCB