Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wine Drinkers

Enthusiast

Wine Drinkers

Got a killer dinner lined up, having some friends over and popping an 1986 Pichon Lalande.

Guru

Re: Wine Drinkers

Ah, the big bucks bottle - $250+! Appears to have 97 and 96 ratings....let us know if the price / quality are a match. Of course, it is a subjective experience but is the $200 extra over a $50 dollar bottle "worth" it?

One blogger calls it the "The Willat Effect: Side-by-Side Comparisons Create Connoisseurs"

http://blog.sethroberts.net/2011/07/...-connoisseurs/

At what point does rarity - price overtake quality?
    Last edited by Jono; 11-10-2011 at 10:54.

Advanced Taster

I used to spend that kind of $ on my wine. Then I started drinking whisk(e)y's and could not shake the idea that I can drink that $200 bottle in under 2 hours and it will take me 3 weeks to drink that bottle of bourbon. I now only drink what I have cellared and rarely spend over $75 on a bottle of wine (Caymus Napa Cab) Is still one of my favorites.

My wine budget has been re allocated to whisk(e)ys but, I still enjoy a nice cab, meritage, barolo when the time comes.

I bet that wine was excellent, and you will remember when you had it and who you were with.

I hope it was a memorable experience.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by GreggJ View Post
    I used to spend that kind of $ on my wine. Then I started drinking whisk(e)y's and could not shake the idea that I can drink that $200 bottle in under 2 hours and it will take me 3 weeks to drink that bottle of bourbon. I now only drink what I have cellared and rarely spend over $75 on a bottle of wine (Caymus Napa Cab) Is still one of my favorites.

My wine budget has been re allocated to whisk(e)ys but, I still enjoy a nice cab, meritage, barolo when the time comes. ...
    Sums up my feelings as a lapsed wine guy (though $100 was the most I ever spent). My bunkered bottles are almost extinct and rarely do I spend more than $15 now and closer to $10 . I make an occasional exception for amarone, Oregon pinots and the classic Napa's like your mentioned Caymus but not often.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Enthusiast

Sadly, the bottle was corked and ended up going down the drain. You win some, you lose some. I guess corked bottles isn't something you run into a lot with bourbon. I have one more bottle, hope it shows better.

I buy a few special higher priced bottles every so often, but I also work in the industry so I'm able to really pick and choose wisely. Most of my wine buying is in the $35-$75 range across all regions. I'm probably in the 500 bottle range in my cellar.

Tonight is a 09 Didier Dagueneau tasting with some friends. About 12 of us and 10 bottles. For me, the wines are more about celebrating the friendships of the people you open them with.

Guru

Being in Napa and in the business certainly is a +++!

Do you usually end the evening with a dessert wine, or if the evening
    goes on long enough, a small whiskey? It can be a bad mix if one has
    over indulged, however, a nice dinner helps avoid those issues.

Have a great evening "celebrating the friendships of the people you open them with." Very true.

Here is a request you can help SB with:

A list of moderate priced ($20-50) wines for Thanksgiving.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Here is a request you can help SB with:

A list of moderate priced ($20-50) wines for Thanksgiving.
    Wonderful request, Jono! Although I'm considering smoking a sirloin tip roast this year, what wine pairs well with the traditional turkey dinner is a question I've often pondered during the holidays but never took the time to research.

Guru

We usually have both red (not a Cab or high tannin variety) and white because the flavors are so mixed with Turkey, stuffing, sweet potato and all of the sides.

Enthusiast

Jono...I don't usually mix my alcohols, but if I do, I start with the whiskey, them move to wine. I don't usually end with sweet wines...last night we switched to an 05 St Emilion when the 86 let me down. We went to a 1937 dry Barsac after that which was surprisingly alive, a little sherry-like, but still good acidity. Then had a Billecart Rose to cap the evening.

As for wine suggestions, one that I'm serving with turkey is the 2009 O'Connor Russian River Pinot Noir, absolutely killer Pinot, tiny production, we sell it for $32, but you probably won't find it outside CA (unless I send it to you). Au Bon Climat Pinot is pretty solid and more widely available. I like Pinot with Turkey. If you're going with a darker meat, I'd be pulling a Rhone. 2009 Clos St Jean Chateauneuf du Pape VV at $45 is insanely good. Or an 07 Rayas La Pialaide Cotes Du Rhone would do the trick at $36. As for white, I'd probably go Sauvignon Blanc over Chardonnay myself...I like the acidity with the savory food. Lots of good ones to choose from there.

Guru

Thanks for selections...I see Binnys has the Au Bon Climat Pinot....from different vintners?

http://www.binnys.com/wine/search/?a...Climat%20Pinot

07,08, 09.....I think you are referring to the 08 Au Bon Climat Pinot Noir Knox Alexander?
    Last edited by Jono; 11-11-2011 at 12:17.