Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wine Drinkers

Enthusiast

Re: Wine Drinkers

All of those are "Au Bon Climat" wines, just different vineyard designates. All should be tasty. Looking at their other Pinot suggestions online, you might also do well with:

Dehlinger
    Failla (one of my other favs)
    Nothing wrong with La Crema
    Loring
    Siduri
    Walter Hansel

Guru

Great! I will certainly be looking for some of these!

Taster

Drank a Beringer Private Reserve chardonnay tonight. Not for everyone since it's a big wine but I enjoyed it!

Had another corked Brunello but thankfully the store I bought it at has agreed to take it back.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by dridge11 View Post
    Sadly, the bottle was corked and ended up going down the drain. You win some, you lose some. I guess corked bottles isn't something you run into a lot with bourbon. I have one more bottle, hope it shows better.

I buy a few special higher priced bottles every so often, but I also work in the industry so I'm able to really pick and choose wisely. Most of my wine buying is in the $35-$75 range across all regions. I'm probably in the 500 bottle range in my cellar.

Tonight is a 09 Didier Dagueneau tasting with some friends. About 12 of us and 10 bottles. For me, the wines are more about celebrating the friendships of the people you open them with.
    I bout shit my britches! Does this happen often with $200 wine???? Good point about friends and memories.
    Last edited by Billy Bourbon; 01-14-2012 at 23:38.
    One more pour
    Pour one more
    We all face this in some way...

Taster

I'd say an average of 1 bottle out of a case might have some issues with being corked but I know some wineries use expensive corks and claim they have much lower %.

Guru

Cool Re: Wine Drinkers

I am a wine lover, but I don't really know enough to discuss it, intelligently. The best bottle I ever had was a Chateau Margeaux, back in the late 80's. The next time I tried to buy it, the price had shot through the sky, about triple what I had paid that time.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Enthusiast

Yeah, Margaux is a nice one...I've only had it a few times, got a couple in the cellar. The prices of all the 1st growths went up tremendously, but they are starting to come back down a bit. There are a lot of good buys out there, but my money lately has been going toward Rhone, Italy, and Loire.

Speaking of, tonight is dinner with some friends and:

2010 Pelle Menetou Salon Clos Blanchais
    1985 Marcarini Barolo Brunate
    1989 Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by dridge11 View Post
    Yeah, Margaux is a nice one...I've only had it a few times, got a couple in the cellar. The prices of all the 1st growths went up tremendously, but they are starting to come back down a bit. There are a lot of good buys out there, but my money lately has been going toward Rhone, Italy, and Loire.

Speaking of, tonight is dinner with some friends and:

2010 Pelle Menetou Salon Clos Blanchais
    1985 Marcarini Barolo Brunate
    1989 Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle
    that la chapelle should be killer, love the 89

Enthusiast

Hoping so, the last one was great...Gonna bring a 98 Guigal Chateau d'Ampuis as a backup in case it doesn't show well for some reason.

Enthusiast

blah blah -- all this wine talk. Sounds so much like.... my day job

Cool thread -- dridge is a good dude and knows a lot about wine. Even if his palate is suspect.

SDpappy -- while it is impossible to know what the actual rate of cork taint is (most people aren't able to tell -- whether it be lack of experience in total or with that particular bottling or with the flaw in general) I do believe it to be much much lower than 5% on the kind of wines we are talking about here. And by talking about, I'm talking about the good kind that I make and is made in Napa -- not that French swill that dridge likes.
    tl; dnr