Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Flasks - how to select one?

I need a pocket flask. My knowledge of such things is somewhat limited - is this one of the rare items in the world where you can get the super cheaply made metal one that is in a holiday gift pack? Or do I need to go to some store and buy a $100 for it to last more than 2 days of use?

I wont be putting it through anything rugged I dont think - just the usual suspect cases where you'd want to carry a little scotch or bourbon with you.

I'd love to know what people's thoughts are.

Connoisseur

Re: Flasks - how to select one?

I have allways had a suspicion that metal, or plastic could affect the taste of liquids. I would suggest a glass container. The easist would be to buy a half pint, or pint bottle of something you like, and re-use the bottle. Some maple syrup bottles make a good flask.

Hm - you have a point. I know I wouldnt get plastic - those are indeed proven to have the capacity to get bacteria, etc stuck in little micro-scratches and this can cause real trouble.

I like the resilience of metal though over glass.

Plus...if I DO get a glass bottle, I can go ahead and get some decent liquor in it to begin with.

Virtuoso

I would like to have a nice flask, but I just have a $10.00 Coleman stainless steel one. I've used it for three years now and it works just fine. I don't detect any off tastes because of it. I seriously doubt you are going to keep anything in it long enough for that to happen?

Indeed. My strategy would be to clean it once with a mild detergent, dry it thoroughly, put in my liquor of choice for the day only, drink and clean again.

Virtuoso

Ralfy did a nice video about flasks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddLouIaoZ3Q

As for me, I have a cheapo stainless steel flask I use for travelling, I leave whiskey in it for months at a time, and I've never had a problem or noticed any issues.

Glass I'm sure is nice and likely less reactive (though as I note, I've never had a problem with my stainless), but also breakable and since mine goes in the luggage, I don't want to risk it.

Cleaning is the one downside of a lot of hip flasks. When mine is empty, I rinse it very thoroughly and then put it on a drying rack, shaking it a few times a day to get all the drops out. It ususally takes a few days. I don't use detergent for fear that it will leave a residue behind.

Virtuoso

I clean mine with very hot water and let it sit upside down for a few days.... good as new.

Enthusiast

Any metal flask coming out of China isn't welcome into my pocket. Many are cheap knock-off's and unfinished poor quality plated metalsó*and that's going directly into the whiskey at X parts per million over time.

If I could find a fancy unleaded glass lined flask under a $100 that would be the ultimate gift. Unleaded glass is the best solution and cheapest method. As PaulO stated = Maple Syrup [pints] are excellent and heavy duty. I also saved a box of Knob Creek 50ml's and use those with a small funnel to refill. They travel well and work better than anything I've found. You can have a variety of different shots in a small kit.

Get creative!

Enthusiast

You don't start noticing the metal taste in the stainless flasks until the liquid has been sitting in there for a good couple days. If you empty it back out and clean it each time, it should be okay.

Colibri makes fairly nice stainless flasks, and you can find them online and on ebay. For stainless, 7 or 8 oz is the ideal size.

The best IMHO is the Jack Daniel's half pint. The Old grand dad one doesn't look bad either.

I definitely think it would be better to carry two 200 ml (half pint) flasks than one 375 ml (pint) flask if you are going to buy a bottle and reuse it. You can just keep one off in the car or off to the side while you indulge in the other one.

Oh, and if you can find a good glass lined one, i'd pick it up. I've seen a few on ebay over the years, but somethimes they're expensive and I know that without the cap that's attached to the body of the flask, it would only be a matter of time before it would be lost and the flask worthless.
    Last edited by trumpstylz; 11-13-2011 at 19:18.

Disciple

Flasks draw negative attention.

Put your mid-grade bourbon(Weller SR or OGD do the trick.) in a traveling coffee mug. No one is the wiser, as who ever questions the ubiquitous coffee cup?

Of course I'm joking, as I would never do such a thing.