Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Flasks - how to select one?

I think a few here have pretty much covered everything, but I'll put my two cents in anyway. I have several flasks that I use from time to time. Evan Williams, Rebel Yell, Courvoisier, and a generic one that was a gift. I don't let bourbon sit in one too long, and I clean it after emptying it. I clean mine by soaking it for a while in hot, soapy water and rinsing it very thoroughly. I will then soak it in very hot, clean water. I rinse again, then I'll shake out as much water as I can, and turn it upside down to drain. After a day, I'll put it back on my shelf with the top open. I'll rinse it thoroughly again before the next use. Haven't had a problem yet. At least I don't think so. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Flasks draw negative attention.

Put your mid-grade bourbon(Weller SR or OGD do the trick.) in a traveling coffee mug. No one is the wiser, as who ever questions the ubiquitous coffee cup?

Of course I'm joking, as I would never do such a thing.
    Joking of course. Wink, wink.

Enthusiast

If one is concerned about keeping bourbon in a stainless steel flask, they should also be concerned about which bourbon they purchase. Bourbon is often in contact with stainless steel for long periods. How do the Van Winkles still have Stitzel Weller whiskey?

In addition, stainless steel is used extensively in food processing.

Typically, 18-8 or 300 series (Type 304) stainless steel is used. That alloy should not impart any flavor to whiskey stored in it.

Enthusiast

Whiskey is not corrosive to 18-8 type stainless steels. If whiskey picks up an off-flavor after exposure to a stainless flask, I suspect it is due to internal contamination within the flask from residual forming and finishing compounds. Therefore, thorough cleaning is important prior to use.

How do you know if your stainless steel flask is made from an 18-8 alloy? Unless it is severely cold worked, a magnet will not be attracted to it. I have 3 flasks - Knob Creek, Rebel Yell, and Urban Bourbon Trail. All are identified as Stainless Steel. A magnet was not attracted to any of them.

In selecting a flask, an attached or hinged cap is very important. Also, an appropriate-sized funnel is a must. I have trouble filling a flask without a funnel.

Good information - especially on the magnetization piece. I just bought a 4 Roses Small Batch christmas pack with a flask in it. I'll go check it in a minute for magnetization.

Hopefully the bourbon is good too!

Virtuoso

I have a very nice pewter flask that was made in England. I bought it new some 10 years ago, so I assume it's lead-free. I'm not sure why pewter has been used for flasks. I looked online but couldn't really find much info on that. If anyone has any insight, I'm interested to know.

Pewter is somewhat soft, and over the years my flask has developed indentations from times with it when I've rendered myself less likely to remember it's in my back pocket, for instance. These days, I'm likely to bring it to the movies or to a play. When I was younger and living in NYC, I took it out to bars and stole sips in the bathroom so I wouldn't have to spend $50 on horrendously over-priced drinks and leave sober as a judge. I like the personality it's taken on as its shape has changed over the years.

Anyway, I don't wear jewelry other than my wedding ring and my grandfather's watch, so I consider the flask a dear accessory, even though it gets little use. I probably spent $75 on it. It has an attached top. I try to fill and empty it on the same night, and wash it out with warm water and maybe a little soap in between uses. I can't use water that's too hot though; hot water softens the metal! (Not permanently.)
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/

This company design a flask to bypass cruise ship scrutiny. I have several and in different sizes. The 8oz size makes a great pocket flask - light weight, has never leaked on me, and easy to conceal. I've used it at sporting events, ski trips, etc.

I know you say you don't want plastic, but I say plastic is best choice. Generally, whatever you put in flask is going to be intended to be drank pretty quickly.

Virtuoso

Here's one of my favorites, because it's truly stealth (passes through metal detectors):

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?p...akproof+bottle

I use the 4oz size, which for some reason they stopped listing online (but it's the one in the pic holding blue liquid), they only cost $1.49 each, and the mouth is large enough to fill without a funnel. The plastic doesn't bother me and doesn't change the taste either. Having a Container Store close to my house is a plus.

Connoisseur

Look no further...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

^Hahahahaha. oh man. THAT is what I need. I bet that would breeze through airport security.