Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Disciple

Re: Eagle Rare and Benchmark Mashbills

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    Cool...great geeky info for us bourbon nerds. They've always tasted very similar except for age (the Seagrams and early Sazerac stuff that is) and I sure wish the dusty Benchmark in the bunker was more than 80 proof too.
    If it's the old round bottle instead of the Benchmark Single Barrel (never mind McAfee's) then it will still be tasty. Not sure that even the Seagram's-labeled version was ever produced at higher than 86 proof.

Time to renew my quest for a L'ville ER 10/101!
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Interesting question and I don't know the answer. Charlie Beam developed the Eagle Rare profile while working for Seagram's in Maryland, I think it was. He subsequently moved to Four Roses and became master distiller there.
    Just wondering but is Charlie Beam related to THE Beams?
    Last edited by Shuboy; 03-14-2012 at 22:35.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Shuboy View Post
    Just wondering but is Charlie Beam related to THE Beams?
    Yup. Check out the interactive Beam family tree here: http://www.jimbeam.com/heritage/distillers-tree

I think that's him over on the right.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Yup. Check out the interactive Beam family tree here: http://www.jimbeam.com/heritage/distillers-tree

I think that's him over on the right.
    Woah, from the looks of that tree, nearly EVERY bourbon distillery in Kentucky had a Beam working there at some point...

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Charlie Beam finished his career at Four Roses. Yes, that's him on the Beam family tree, which I give Beam a lot of credit for doing.

Connoisseur

Chuck, wonder if there are still a number of Beams working in the industry now? Besides Parker and Craig.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It's a very big family and there are members of it all over the industry, not necessarily distilling but in other capacities. Fred Noe's cousin, Jim Beam Noe, is a manager at Clermont. One of his responsibilities is the new visitor center. The guys who are starting Limestone Springs are Beams.

Advanced Taster

Eagle Rare 101 seems to be a sought after dusty. It would be cool if someone tried to recreate it using the appropriate 4R1B's.
    Last edited by jaycamm; 04-15-2012 at 12:40.
    One whiskey for every ghost.

Connoisseur

Interesting idea! You'd just need two bottles, the OBSV and OESV. I'd start by dropping them down to 100 proof, then mix at the benchmark ratio and adjust from there.

Too bad I can't get the OESV. The OBSV could be a standard off the shelf one barrel.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Young Blacksmith View Post
    Interesting idea! You'd just need two bottles, the OBSV and OESV. I'd start by dropping them down to 100 proof, then mix at the benchmark ratio and adjust from there.

Too bad I can't get the OESV. The OBSV could be a standard off the shelf one barrel.
    I've got em both and may give this a try. Both Rutledge picks too. I only have about 2 ounces left of the OESV though and the OBSV is the 16 year which hasn't yet been opened.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011