Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Advanced Taster

Another Newbie from NYC

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself; after reading a lot of the threads and educating myself about bourbon, I decided to take the plunge and register for the forum. I'm a long time scotch drinker from NYC in his late-20s but fairly new to bourbon/rye.

As a newbie to Bourbon, I appreciate its:
    1) Lower average price point
    2) Variety of deep flavor profiles
    3) Certain patriotic flair

In NYC, I have noticed a growing speakeasy/bourbon/bourbon-cocktail "trend" largely driven by the hipster population. Paired with the Pappy/BTAC craze, it's been hard not to get caught up in it all, but I'm trying to approach the journey by learning about many different brands and styles. Speaking with local liquor store owners who are whiskey drinkers has also been very helpful.

So far, I have to say that my favorite has been the Thomas H. Handy I was able to try over the holidays. Really just a unique crispness w/ rum undertones I have haven't experienced before.

Any other advice from SB veterans?

Novice

Re: Another Newbie from NYC

welcome to another new yorker, from someone who's just starting out with bourbon/rye myself. Parkersback posts frequently and I've learned that his advice is golden.

Virtuoso

Have you guys been to the Brandy Library in Tribeca? It's Bourbon list seems pretty good. The staff was knowledgeable when I was there and it has the huge advantage that you can sample by the drink instead of having to buy a bottle like those of us in the provinces have to do. A couple evenings sampling there saved me from buying several expensive bottles.

Advanced Taster

I find Brandy Library to be pretty overpriced. I understand they are catering to a rich business clientele, but frankly I'm just not at that point in my life yet.

The closest place to me that seems to have a fairly decent selection is Bar & Books, which operates as a Whiskey/Cigar lounge. It's a franchise and the one on the UES side has discounts on flights Tuesday nights.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Have you guys been to the Brandy Library in Tribeca? It's Bourbon list seems pretty good. The staff was knowledgeable when I was there and it has the huge advantage that you can sample by the drink instead of having to buy a bottle like those of us in the provinces have to do. A couple evenings sampling there saved me from buying several expensive bottles.
    Also, if sampling is what you're looking to do, there are several online vendors you can purchase tasting samples from. They'll deliver it to your house at much more reasonable prices.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Sounds interesting... That sounds like a trip into the city to check out!