Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

New documentary about bourbon seeking help

Hi Folks!

I wasn't sure where to post this topic, so the new members forum seemed just as good a place as any. I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster. I know some of you personally, but that's all beside the point.

Basically, I'm a filmmaker and a complete bourbon fanatic. This fall, the idea struck me to create a short subject documentary about the seasonal "Pappy Hunt," as I like to call it. Basically I'm going around interviewing Pappy enthusiasts, shop owners, bartenders, etc to get some colorful footage about Pappy, about the rarity, the fans, the mystique -- and, of course, about bourbon lovers of all stripes and locations!

I've started a Kickstarter fundraising project in an effort to make the documentary that much more interesting. If you want to learn more, check it out below--I'm not peddling donations, but I would love it if anyone who wanted to participate or be interviewed would respond to me here, or PM me. And if you DO want to help fund the project, there are a lot of cool rewards -- getting customized posters, your name listed in the credits, an invitation to a bourbon dinner premiere, etc etc. Let me know what you think:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/.../chasing-pappy

Thank you everyone again for being part of such an amazing resource and community as this site. As you can probably tell, the interpersonal aspects of being a bourbon fan are truly special to me.

Disciple

Re: New documentary about bourbon seeking help

Would love to watch it, but you might see pitchforks and torches headed your way if you get accused of increasing the buzz aroung Pappy.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    Would love to watch it, but you might see pitchforks and torches headed your way if you get accused of increasing the buzz aroung Pappy.
    I completely agree here. You might want to make the brands anonymous so that ebay jerks and unappreciative drinkers don't make a run on the market for ANY of the brands.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Americanum View Post
    Hi Folks!

I wasn't sure where to post this topic, so the new members forum seemed just as good a place as any. I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster. I know some of you personally, but that's all beside the point.

Basically, I'm a filmmaker and a complete bourbon fanatic. This fall, the idea struck me to create a short subject documentary about the seasonal "Pappy Hunt," as I like to call it. Basically I'm going around interviewing Pappy enthusiasts, shop owners, bartenders, etc to get some colorful footage about Pappy, about the rarity, the fans, the mystique -- and, of course, about bourbon lovers of all stripes and locations!

I've started a Kickstarter fundraising project in an effort to make the documentary that much more interesting. If you want to learn more, check it out below--I'm not peddling donations, but I would love it if anyone who wanted to participate or be interviewed would respond to me here, or PM me. And if you DO want to help fund the project, there are a lot of cool rewards -- getting customized posters, your name listed in the credits, an invitation to a bourbon dinner premiere, etc etc. Let me know what you think:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/.../chasing-pappy

Thank you everyone again for being part of such an amazing resource and community as this site. As you can probably tell, the interpersonal aspects of being a bourbon fan are truly special to me.
    Do you have any links to your previous work? I'm interested in the project, but before I decide to toss down some cash, I'd like to see some of your other work. (Sorry if I sound like an a-hole, I just want to do some due dilligence.)

Enthusiast

Very cool, nice intro piece. The cult-brand/fanatic pics have become a bit of a sub-category for documentaries of late... and I enjoy them (even if I'm not a fan of the topic, I've enjoyed many of them).

I love seeing the underbelly of a sub-culture that is organized, influential and motivated unto themselves - entire hierarchies of fans/friends/people that are tremendously ordered, but outside of that small circle, unheard of!

This should be a great topic - Americana, booze, history, the impact of the internet/technology, road-trips/dusty hunters, etc.

Look forward to the end result. PM me if I can be of any help - I've got a media background and I love Pappy (heck - I'm a subset of Pappy Lovers because I seek out the Rye!).

Virtuoso

One post to ask for money and then gone?

Just to make PVW more popular?

Good riddance!
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz