Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: Advise wanted on how to open a bottle

Just keep practicing, Will. You'll get the hang of opening whiskey bottles one of these days...
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Just keep practicing, Will. You'll get the hang of opening whiskey bottles one of these days...
    As they say practice makes perfect. I'll let you guys know how well I did later in the week.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    As they say practice makes perfect. I'll let you guys know how well I did later in the week.
    I'm pretty skeptical - let me know how it works. Not sure what the physics behind this could be...?
    I've got an open WT12 on the shelf with cork in the bottle that I plan to filter on thursday.
    Craig

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    I'm pretty skeptical - let me know how it works. Not sure what the physics behind this could be...?
    I've got an open WT12 on the shelf with cork in the bottle that I plan to filter on thursday.
    Craig
    I didn't think about the physics behind this yet but it would be an interesting subject for a physics class.

When I have to deal with broken cork I remove the loose cork as well as can be done and then I push the remaining cork into the bottle, pour the bourbon into a Pyrex 2 quart measuring cup and carefully remove the cork from the top. I drain the bottle well and then use the plastic bag technique to remove the remaining cork from inside the bottle. Rinse the bottle well with a little reserved bourbon then pour the reserved bourbon back into the bottle and use another cork. Its a lot of hassle and I really want to avoid breaking the cork in the first place.

I'll let you know how the shoe trick works.

Will

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    I didn't think about the physics behind this yet but it would be an interesting subject for a physics class.

When I have to deal with broken cork I remove the loose cork as well as can be done and then I push the remaining cork into the bottle, pour the bourbon into a Pyrex 2 quart measuring cup and carefully remove the cork from the top. I drain the bottle well and then use the plastic bag technique to remove the remaining cork from inside the bottle. Rinse the bottle well with a little reserved bourbon then pour the reserved bourbon back into the bottle and use another cork. Its a lot of hassle and I really want to avoid breaking the cork in the first place.

I'll let you know how the shoe trick works.

Will
    That's a lot of work. The alternative is to just invite some friends around to help you polish off the bottle quickly. When the shoe against the wall trick fails let me know and I'll help you with the finish the bottle quick option.
    Craig

Guru

Well I pulled out the Johnston & Murphy shoe's (lately they are only used for weddings and funerals) and tried the pounding against the wall trick.

Down to the basement to pound on concrete rather than drywall. I don't have conclusive results.

It didn't remove the cork, but I did open a CGL WT12 and a Weller Centennial without breaking either cork. In the past I have not successfully opened a CGL without breaking the cork and I'm about 50% successful opening Weller Centennial without cork breakage.

One think I'm certain about, I'm enjoying two great bourbons! Happy Thanksgiving!

Connoisseur

I was waiting for a report. I was expecting maybe that you had put a hole in the wall, broke the bottle, and ruined a good shoe. And worse, spilled a whole bottle of WT 12. But it sounds like things worked out pretty well. I'm about to pour a glass of my open WT 12 with cork pieces adrift in it and sit in front of the wood stove. Maybe I'll spit the cork into the fire...
    Happy Thanksgiving as well.
    Craig