Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    5,236

    Re: Advise wanted on how to open a bottle

    Just keep practicing, Will. You'll get the hang of opening whiskey bottles one of these days...
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

  2. #12
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Livonia, MI
    Posts
    2,086

    Re: Advise wanted on how to open a bottle

    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Just keep practicing, Will. You'll get the hang of opening whiskey bottles one of these days...
    As they say practice makes perfect. I'll let you guys know how well I did later in the week.

  3. #13
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Saline, MI
    Posts
    755

    Re: Advise wanted on how to open a bottle

    Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    As they say practice makes perfect. I'll let you guys know how well I did later in the week.
    I'm pretty skeptical - let me know how it works. Not sure what the physics behind this could be...?
    I've got an open WT12 on the shelf with cork in the bottle that I plan to filter on thursday.
    Craig

  4. #14
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Livonia, MI
    Posts
    2,086

    Re: Advise wanted on how to open a bottle

    Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    I'm pretty skeptical - let me know how it works. Not sure what the physics behind this could be...?
    I've got an open WT12 on the shelf with cork in the bottle that I plan to filter on thursday.
    Craig
    I didn't think about the physics behind this yet but it would be an interesting subject for a physics class.

    When I have to deal with broken cork I remove the loose cork as well as can be done and then I push the remaining cork into the bottle, pour the bourbon into a Pyrex 2 quart measuring cup and carefully remove the cork from the top. I drain the bottle well and then use the plastic bag technique to remove the remaining cork from inside the bottle. Rinse the bottle well with a little reserved bourbon then pour the reserved bourbon back into the bottle and use another cork. Its a lot of hassle and I really want to avoid breaking the cork in the first place.

    I'll let you know how the shoe trick works.

    Will

  5. #15
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Saline, MI
    Posts
    755

    Re: Advise wanted on how to open a bottle

    Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    I didn't think about the physics behind this yet but it would be an interesting subject for a physics class.

    When I have to deal with broken cork I remove the loose cork as well as can be done and then I push the remaining cork into the bottle, pour the bourbon into a Pyrex 2 quart measuring cup and carefully remove the cork from the top. I drain the bottle well and then use the plastic bag technique to remove the remaining cork from inside the bottle. Rinse the bottle well with a little reserved bourbon then pour the reserved bourbon back into the bottle and use another cork. Its a lot of hassle and I really want to avoid breaking the cork in the first place.

    I'll let you know how the shoe trick works.

    Will
    That's a lot of work. The alternative is to just invite some friends around to help you polish off the bottle quickly. When the shoe against the wall trick fails let me know and I'll help you with the finish the bottle quick option.
    Craig

  6. #16
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Livonia, MI
    Posts
    2,086

    Re: Advise wanted on how to open a bottle

    Well I pulled out the Johnston & Murphy shoe's (lately they are only used for weddings and funerals) and tried the pounding against the wall trick.

    Down to the basement to pound on concrete rather than drywall. I don't have conclusive results.

    It didn't remove the cork, but I did open a CGL WT12 and a Weller Centennial without breaking either cork. In the past I have not successfully opened a CGL without breaking the cork and I'm about 50% successful opening Weller Centennial without cork breakage.

    One think I'm certain about, I'm enjoying two great bourbons! Happy Thanksgiving!

  7. #17
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Saline, MI
    Posts
    755

    Re: Advise wanted on how to open a bottle

    I was waiting for a report. I was expecting maybe that you had put a hole in the wall, broke the bottle, and ruined a good shoe. And worse, spilled a whole bottle of WT 12. But it sounds like things worked out pretty well. I'm about to pour a glass of my open WT 12 with cork pieces adrift in it and sit in front of the wood stove. Maybe I'll spit the cork into the fire...
    Happy Thanksgiving as well.
    Craig

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Open Bottle Problem
    By Enoch in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-30-2011, 08:45
  2. Does whiskey deteriorate in an open bottle?
    By sku in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-23-2011, 13:55
  3. how long is an open bottle of bourbon good for?
    By dons in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-12-2009, 15:59
  4. Wine-Open Bottle
    By mrt in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-02-2007, 12:12
  5. Multiple Open Bottle..
    By mred in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-13-2007, 10:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top