Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Ola from Texas!

Apprentice

Ola from Texas!

Greeting Folks. It's a pleasure to officially be part of your community. I've been lurking for quite some time.

I'm a tequila lover slowly being converted to a bourbon aficionado. I've been an active member for years over on Ian Chadwick's Blue Agave forum. I started dabbling more in bourbon about a year ago after a long time love affair with Jose Cuervo's bourbon influenced Reserva de la Familia.

Over the last year or so I have tried a variety of bourbons all which I enjoyed, albeit some more than others:

Weller SR
    Weller 12
    Weller Antique
    ERSB
    Baby Saz
    ETL
    MM & Makers 46
    Rittenhouse 100
    OGD 114
    Handy 2011
    WLW 2011
    GTS 2011

I'm a neat only guy but not a snob about it. I've just always been that way from my years of tequila consumption. But from the reading I have done lately, I am slowly learning that there may be appropriate times to add a splash of water to your whiskey.

I'm having an extremely fun time with my first experiences with cask strength bourbon. They vastly exceeded my expectations with their complexity, richness, and flavor. I'm thoroughly enjoying them all neat at the moment but may give each of them a try with some H2O.

I hope to learn a lot more about bourbon in the coming months. I can tell from reading about mashbills and what juice is in what bottle based on their age that I have a long way to go. And of course I hope to score a bottle of the coveted PVW for the first time, although I will probably have to wait until the next release as I did not get my name on a list soon enough this year.

I hope everyone has a great week and an enjoyable Thanksgiving coupled with copious bourbon consumption.

I'll be seeing you guys around.

Best, Ryan

Taster

Re: Ola from Texas!

Welcome. Where in TX are you?

Apprentice

Thanks for the heads up. I edited my profile location accordingly.

I'm originally from Houston although I've lived in Austin off and on over the years. The past three years I've been living in Atlanta but just recently moved back to Texas at the beginning of the month. I must say it is good to be back home. Currently I'm looking for work in the Austin area so I can move back over there again. I love that part of the state.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by greens View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I edited my profile location accordingly.

I'm originally from Houston although I've lived in Austin off and on over the years. The past three years I've been living in Atlanta but just recently moved back to Texas at the beginning of the month. I must say it is good to be back home. Currently I'm looking for work in the Austin area so I can move back over there again. I love that part of the state.
    If you make it back up here let me know. I just started the Austin Whisk(e)y Society with a friend of mine

Apprentice

I will definitely do that. Shouldn't be too much longer. I may have something lined up but won't know for another week or so.

Virtuoso

Hi Ryan. I remember you from the Tequila site. I was going to sell you some bottles you wanted (at cost, no profit to me), but we never managed to hook up before you moved away. I'm totally converted over to bourbon now, though I do still have 2 bottles of tequila left that will be consumed with my tequila-drinking friends. Welcome to SB!

Enthusiast

Welcome to SB. Enjoy yourself.

Virtuoso

Howdy, par'ner! We have a great TX crowd on here. Welcome to the site

Enthusiast

Hello and welcome from North Dallas!

I'm a big Tequila fan (mostly Mezcal, actually), and I'll check out the site you mentioned above.

Some great Whiskey folks in Houston & Austin, too... Glad to have you here!