Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Enthusiast

Never thought I'd be drinking this...

I don't know what it is, but, recently, I've been drinking Canadian Whisky. Not the good, small-batch stuff, like Forty Creek or Caribou Crossing, mind you, but the mainstream, cheap stuff.

A few nights ago, I did a 3-way taste-test between a few whiskies-- I judged Canadian Mist to be very caramel-y, Black Velvet to the very butterscotch-y, and Canadian Club to be very vanilla-y. I did it on a whim, and ended up enjoying the results (the Canadian Club was my favorite, but I found something to like about all 3).

While, granted, I don't find any of it particularly-complex... that's not what I'm in the mood for. Something smooth, sweet, and retains enough flavor on ice with sweet vermouth is what I'm after, so I bought a 1.75L bottle of Northern Light (a Barton product) and am enjoying a Manhattan on the rocks.

I really used to poo-poo Canadian Blended Whisky, but I have to admit that it is not without merit.

Anyone else with me on this? Or am I just losing it?
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Guru

Re: Never thought I'd be drinking this...

Gary Gillman had a thread a couple of weeks ago where he was extolling the virtues of standard Canadian Club.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ad.php?t=16583

Tim
    Last edited by ratcheer; 11-13-2011 at 05:10. Reason: Add link
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

"Different drinks for different needs."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFvFh5-3IEs

I don't mind Canadians at all. CRCask 16 is pretty regular in my cabinet, and I bought some CC10 a few weeks ago. I haven't had the CC6 lately, but I'm about to pick some up in part to test it on Gary's recommendation, and to add to the infused whiskey I give away for Christmas.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Virtuoso

I'm not a big fan of the Canadian profile, but once in a while, I'll pick up a bottle of CC Classic 12. It usually lasts quite a long time, because I don't drink it very often. Sometimes, a simple, sweet pour is quite satisfying; and that's when I like the CC 12.

I suppose I might like some of the more expensive Canadians like Forty Creek, etc.... but I can't make myself pull the trigger on that kind of coin for a profile I rarely care for.

Connoisseur

My wife's daily dram is Crown Royal. She/we have tried every version to include the XR but she always goes back to the standard CR. I once went on an unprovoked venture to find her a Canadian she would like that was a bit less money than the CR and so we went through all the selections they allow to cross the Alabama frontier. It was a nice journey but we ended up where we started. At the cashier with CR in the basket. She's a one whisky woman.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Guru

Wink Re: Never thought I'd be drinking this...

Quote Originally Posted by Dramiel McHinson View Post
    ... At the cashier with CR in the basket. She's a one whisky woman.
    Many people are, Dramiel.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Dramiel McHinson View Post
    My wife's daily dram is Crown Royal. She/we have tried every version to include the XR but she always goes back to the standard CR. I once went on an unprovoked venture to find her a Canadian she would like that was a bit less money than the CR and so we went through all the selections they allow to cross the Alabama frontier. It was a nice journey but we ended up where we started. At the cashier with CR in the basket. She's a one whisky woman.
    As a matter of personal opinion, Crown Royal fails to impress me. As far as I'm concerned, there are only 3 reasons why it costs twice as much as other Canadians (some of which, like Canadian Club, have been aged even twice as long).

1) Fancy cut-glass bottle.
    2) Fake velvet bag.
    3) Enormous advertising budget.

Of course, mainstream Canadians are a bit like light lager beers-- very little difference, pretty much all about brand loyalty.

I'm perfectly happy with my 1.75L jugs of Northern Light and Canadian LTD. It still has the taste I was looking for, and it's very easy on the wallet!
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by boss302 View Post
    As a matter of personal opinion, Crown Royal fails to impress me. As far as I'm concerned, there are only 3 reasons why it costs twice as much as other Canadians (some of which, like Canadian Club, have been aged even twice as long).

1) Fancy cut-glass bottle.
    2) Fake velvet bag.
    3) Enormous advertising budget.

Of course, mainstream Canadians are a bit like light lager beers-- very little difference, pretty much all about brand loyalty.

I'm perfectly happy with my 1.75L jugs of Northern Light and Canadian LTD. It still has the taste I was looking for, and it's very easy on the wallet!
    I put JD Old #7 in that same catagory for Americans.

Enthusiast

When i was in CDN, i liked Crown Royal. My gf is canadian, and she loves CR...well, most germans love JD and think THIS IS A GOOD WHISKY!!! ;-)
    "With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue, you get nothin' done"

Connoisseur

I disagree about Crown Royal. I think it stands up well to most other Canadian options at or below its price point. In Ontario it is only marginally more expensive than CC12 and Gibson's 12.

Danfield's 10 year old is pretty good as well, if you can find it. I like to go for older Canadian whiskies as I find they age very well.