Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Re: Straight up vs. Mixing

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    If I had a wider selection here in NC, I might make it Old Fitz or Old Weller 12 yo, etc

[/QUOTE]

All are great bourbons and won't break the bank! Did you pick up a bottle of OW 12yo while in Louisville? My everyday pour, and it makes a great bourbon sour for Leslie.

Administrator in exile

Most of my "mixing" friends, if you can really call them "friends" don't care enough to even notice a different bottle. If you are that concerned about appearances, just put the mixed drinks in the kitchen or someplace where no one is likely to be watching. I like Chuck's idea of only leaving the "mixer" bourbon out and inviting connoiseurs to sample from the bunker. You will likely know who these people are anyway. And when you take them aside to sample the good stuff, you can get a good laugh by making fun of your less-than-perfect mixing friends.

Virtuoso

And when you take them aside to sample the good stuff, you can get a good laugh by making fun of your less-than-perfect mixing friends.

[/QUOTE]
    Shoot, the joke may be on us. All the mixing friends will laugh among themselves and joke about how much money we "waste" on "whiskey".

Virtuoso

Absolutely. I really like the Old Weller 12 yo. I haven't fully examined it, but it could become a must have when I visit KY.

While in Ky, I also picked another bottle of the Centennial. The Chicago bottle was going quickly. So, I bought another at Liquor Barn this past weekend. Plus, the price was much lower. If my memory is correct, it was $32 at Binney's and $22 or $23 at Liquor Barn.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Shoot, the joke may be on us. All the mixing friends will laugh among themselves and joke about how much money we "waste" on "whiskey".

[/QUOTE]

I believe I have been the butt of that joke a time or 2.

Taster

OK. I've been doing a bit more thinking on this. As far as my tastes are concerned, I'll stand pat on price. Once you start pouring Coke, Ginger Ale, Sour Mixes, etc. with your liquor, you're not in it for the qualities of a fine Bourbon anymore. The characteristics that separate Rare Breed from WT 80 proof are obscured. You either want to get buzzed, and/or you like the taste of the overall drink, which is fine. But why waste the money on high end stuff?

Now for company. I said I'd let a guest finish my Knob Creek whilst mixing is goodness into oblivion. I guess I should define company. I'd place not insulting a first time guest in my home over some booze any day. But I'm sipping the last little bit of my Kentucky Spirit as I write this, and have to admit that watching the stupidity of someone mixing this nectar with a Coke would irritate me to no end. Forget what I paid. The next time this sorry chap dropped by, I'd be "all out". If it were a party, there would be no ethics issue since the good stuff would never see the light of day. If it were my buddies, I'd tell them in no uncertain terms that they're not going to be mixing my Kentucky Spirit with anything but their brain cells and a little splash of water or ice cube. They'd understand 'cause they are my buddies.

Virtuoso

If it were my buddies, I'd tell them in no uncertain terms that they're not going to be mixing my Kentucky Spirit with anything but their brain cells and a little splash of water or ice cube. They'd understand 'cause they are my buddies.

[/QUOTE]

Wonderfully put! I especially liked the part about mixing the KS with their brain cells.

Connoisseur

But aren't there times when it's NOT a price issue? Leaving the diplomacy issues of company out of the equation for a minute--if I decide (for whatever reason) that I'm making a mixed drink, I don't necessarily reach for the CHEAPEST bourbon in the cabinet, I reach for one that I find the least drinkable straight. Again, I'll cite my former example of Buffalo Trace--it's about 2/3rds the price of Maker's Mark, but I find it an infinitely better bourbon. I'd rather mix the MM and save the BT for double-duty.

Also, I've had more expensive bottles that I didn't find particularly to my liking. They're fair-game for the ginger ale as far as I'm concerned.

Advanced Taster

I've never been much of a mixer, at least as far as bourbon is concerned. I put down my shot glass a couple of years ago--started actually savoring bourbon--and I haven't looked back since. Of course, I like ice and water with my bourbon occasionally. My beer-swilling friends won't touch "brown liquor," no matter how hard I try to convert them. There's no accounting for taste.

Tommy

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Most people who mix probably expect and prefer one of the moderate-priced name brands. The typical one among people I know would be Jack and Coke. If someone wants a Manhattan and is open to trying something new, I probably would suggest a better quality whiskey. When I entertain this usually isn't a problem, because few of my local friends share my enthusiasim for better bourbons. I'll typically put out something like Maker's Mark or Wild Turkey and that's what every bourbon drinker gets, whether they take it mixed or straight. If I have a friend who appreciates the better stuff, I'll make a special trip to the stash just for them. That's how I deal with it.