Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Taster

Re: Straight up vs. Mixing

Remember what I said, One Cube, for me it's more of a price issue. But then I know which ones I like neat and which one's I'd rather mix with and then I buy accordingly. And I'm talking about a general rule of thumb. If all I had was say a bottle of WT101 at $20 and I wanted a whiskey sour, I'd make it with the WT101!

But your point is perfectly reasonable. And I would agree with you that if I had a $30 bottle that I simply hated, I'd probably mix with it too...while drinking a cheaper one neat. But I'd bet you wouldn't knowingly buy that $30 bottle again just for a mixer (or $20 MM!). In fact, like you, I think a double duty is really a good way to go. My EW7 and Beam White are double duty pours. I don't like 'em as much as my KC, WT, or EC12, but they're a nice change now and then.

There is no right or wrong, really. It's what makes you happy.

Regards,
    Winslow

Guru

But, by my practices, I don't have any bourbons that I don't enjoy straight.

You know, last night I mentioned the occasional WT101 or OF100 mint julep or Manhattan cocktail. I just remembered a drink I made a good while back that was wonderful: a mint julep made with Woodford Reserve. It was perfect. The sweetness of that bourbon in a semi-sweet drink (I don't use much sugar) was a great match.

So, there is a case of using the right (expensive) bourbon to get an uncommonly good result. I remember, now, that I got the idea from WR's 2002 Kentucky Derby advertising.

But, again, I don't mix very often. Maybe 3 to 4 times a year.

Tim

Guru

Sounds like a great plan, Chuck. Except for the Maker's Mark part.

Tim

Enthusiast

I would probably mix almost anything if someone specifically requested it. This would certainly be the case if I knew that they were very familiar with mixed drinks and appreciated the difference.

For the past 8 years I have drank spirits neat at least 90% of the time, but for the previous decade I drank whisk(e)y and gingerale over 90% of the time. The quality and character of the spirit makes a great deal of difference to me. Even now, when I feel like a whisky and gingerale, I pick the whisky I really feel like having with it. This is often a top shelf Canadian (perhaps that's an oximoron ). I only rarely use bourbon, but that's because of preference rather than price or "image".

As a practical matter, friends and guests almost always ask me for guidance when the see my cabinet. In the unlikely event someone ever asked to mix Pappy 23 with coke, I would probably carry on some small talk before pouring... "How familiar are you with Pappy 23? What other bourbons do you like in your Coke? Pappy 23 is generally enjoyed neat, perhaps you would prefer the..." Yet, if it's really what they wanted, I would pour it. But after serving it, I would probably mention that since it was on my special occasion shelf, I wouldn't be pouring it again for a while.

Guru

I have enjoyed bourbon and ginger ale in the distant past. Another favorite was mid-shelf scotch (e.g., Johnny Walker Red) and ginger ale.

As to serving Pappy 23 with Coke, you are a gentleman and a diplomat. Doing that would hurt me to the quick. I am not sure I could avoid just saying, "No".

Tim

Enthusiast

BTW, I would say no if I was pretty sure someone was just pulling my chain.

Disciple

90% of the people I know would prefer Natural Light when they visit me to "that yucky bourbon stuff" I drink, so naturall (heh heh) I oblige. For the few that do appreciate bourbon at all, they don't mix, (except maybe manhattans) so "mi bunker es su bunker"

TomC

Disciple

Old Ezra 7/101, AAA 10 year (if available to you) Old forrester 89/100 proofs are my suggestions for good bourbons that are cheap enough for you to let your friends have in coke if necessary.

LOL
    Tomc

Virtuoso

"mi bunker es su bunker"
    Hey, Tom! What's your address?

Disciple

I have alway told everyone on the board, you make the journey, I'll provide refreshments .

BLEEE!
    TomC