Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Advanced Taster

Dusty motherlode!

First post here.. I have been getting into collecting dusties, though haven't chanced on too many bourbons. Had found an old Walker's Deluxe lic. plate decanter 8 yr from the 70's and the "I Dream of Jeannie" Beam's Choice, both of which were partly consumed when I got them but still tasty. One quart of JB white label has been my bourbon collection.. until today.

These were from a gentleman who had a liquor store from the 60's-80's... tired of moving his bottles around when he moved. A mixture of pint and half-pint (or 375 and 200ML, depending on vintage.)

OGD 86 x2
    OGD BIB pint (68/74)
    Old Taylor 86 x2
    Old Taylor BIB x6 (2 big, 4 small, varying vintages bottled '74-83)
    Old Crow x7
    Old Charter x3
    Wild Turkey 101 x2
    WI Weller Cabin Still
    Walker's Deluxe 8yr x6
    IW Harper x3 (early 80's I think)
    Yellowstone 6yr x5 (70's?)
    Hill & Hill x2
    Jim Beam x5 (metric/UPC)
    "Antique" 6yr (Frankfort KY)
    Ezra Brooks Gold Label
    JD x8
    Ancient Age x3
    Ten High x7
    Sunny Brook

I either have to get rid of some of these, or kiss my liver goodbye!

I couldn't believe my luck when I started going through the stuff. He really didn't know what he had, and there were over 200 bottles available, but mostly liqueurs, some Tequila, and blended Am/Canadian/etc.

Also some blended Scotches, i.e. Pinch 12yr, Dewars White, Old Bushmills, Chivas 12, White Horse, Cluny, Johnny red/blk...

One of the pics did not turn out, but some of the most interesting bottles for you guys are visible here.

I started out getting into this with some minibottles.. Still have some of those, including a 1947 BIB Rittenhouse Rye that I am dying to try when I have the right time.. should probably not wait too long since there is already some evaporation!

I have been reading the forums for awhile, and have some idea of what I have... from what I understand I should be most excited about the Old Taylor, OGD, maybe Cabin Still. Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Andrew

Re: Dusty motherlode!

Holy...... sweet find! we cant get most of that in Australia

If you would consider packing and sending to Aus i would be happy to buy some off you. It couldnt be too much, maybe 1-1.5 litres, i might get it through customs if it is listed as collectibles or something.
    Last edited by Andre28; 12-14-2011 at 01:18.

Enthusiast

Nice find...you should crack one of each and invite some buddies over for a side by side tasting.

Advanced Taster

I am hoping to do that. I first have to find some places to store/catalog it. Some of the BIB come from various years, mostly late 60's-'74 or so, a few early '80's. Lots of various sizes and types.

Plus, I just moved back out to L.A., so am trying to locate some new drinking buddies!

It's nice having the smaller sizes, though, because I don't have to worry as much about oxidation as the bottle sits!

It may be interesting reflecting on what he had left over. I have no idea how this former liquor store owner ended up with the collection he did, but it struck me that he had a fairly significant selection of bourbons, blended whiskies, and liqueurs. He had fewer rums & tequilas, and very few vodkas & gins in there.

I suppose it could fit into the general malaise that seems to have befallen bourbon/whiskey in the 70's/80's that he would have so much extra stock, and that there would be comparatively little vodka or gin. Or, maybe he just knew some vodka drinkers and gave them away before I got there!

Connoisseur

I can't speak to the Cabin Still, but the OGD is very, very good, and the OT is incredible. I've only had the 86: I've got 3 bottles of the BIB, but I'm waiting to open one for my 40th, which is this upcoming June (the distillation date on the BIB is 1972, my birth year).

I've also had the Old Crow and I think it's quite good. Not as distinctive as the OGD or OT, but solid.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Advanced Taster

Cabin Still was my go-to in the '70s, and even though that bottle seems to have seen some evaporation, I'm betting it's still tasty!

Advanced Taster

Has anyone tried the Hill & Hill, Ezra Brooks, or Sunny Brook?

More important, I'm curious about the Old Charter 10yr. I've had some Walkers Deluxe and enjoyed it. I think it may have been a little earlier vintage, but hopefully this is the same juice.

I also have a fair number of blended Scotches here.. was enjoying a White Horse, which is very, very mild and a little "new" for a blend.. some alcohol aroma in the nose. There's also Cluny, Dewar's White Label, and something else that I forget at the moment. I will also be interested in the White Label since the modern stuff is unremarkable.

Disciple

Sunny Brook was an ND lower-shelf offering. I've seen both yellow (blended) and white (straight) labels. A little light but good representation of the ND house flavor.
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by bmajazz View Post
    Has anyone tried the Hill & Hill, Ezra Brooks, or Sunny Brook?
    Over the last 3 years or so, I went through three 1.75L bottles of Ezra Brooks 7 y.o., 90 proof dating from the mid '70s. I thought it was an excellent pour from Medley. Nice leather on the nose. Maple sweetness on the pallet.
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Advanced Taster

I just learned how good White Horse is, comparatively. I opened a bottle of vintage Jack Daniels 86 proof, probably just after they lowered the proof from 90.

It smells more of Everclear than anything else. Guess it is the true mixer!