Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Old overholt vs Jim Beam Rye?

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    They are pretty much the same now. When I first got to try both in the mid 90's both were way better products and they were totally different from each other. I read some where they each use a different yeast.
    I agree. I have a 1993 bottle of Old Overholt and several bottles of 1983 Jim Beam Rye. They don't taste anything alike and don't taste anything like the current offerings.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I believe all Beam rye is the same off the still and made at Clermont.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by trumpstylz View Post
    I just figured it'd be good for mixing.
    I love mixing Rye, and when I do, I want the highest proof. My favorite Manhattans were made with either Handy or Willett Rye. I only made 2 with the Handy, as I'm not made of money, but the Willett Rye is cask strength, and can be had for $35. Not the cheapest in the world, but damn good.

If I'm being frugal, I would rather mix OGD 114 than use OO or Beam Rye. Much better IMHO.

Enthusiast

Jim Murray, in his book The Complete Guide to Whiskey (Triumph 1997), discussing rye whiskeys (this is back when there were only a handful of them), states regarding mashbills and production,
    . . . Jim Beam's is 51 percent rye. The big boy is Old Overholt with an impressive 61 percent rye. * * * [I]n the case of the Beam brands, either their Claremont or Boston distilleries will be called into action, depending on which is available.
    Now, that was at least 15 years ago, but Old Overholt was established as a Beam product at that point, and he must have gotten that information from somewhere.

Advanced Taster

I've sampled two recent bottles of these back to back and they were almost indistinguishable. The Overholt might have had just a touch more bite, but it was very subtle. I like both of these better than Pikesville Rye, which saddens me as a Marylander. Although the Pikesville isn't made in Maryland, but in Bardstown by Heaven Hill!

Enthusiast

About ten years ago when I was first getting into whiskey, I had bottles of both Beam and OO, and I thought they tasted different. I preferred the OO, so that's what I tended to keep around for casual consumption and mixing. I ran out a while back and haven't picked up a new bottle. I suppose it might have changed over time. Perhaps I'll get one each of the JB and OO and blind taste them.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by chasking View Post
    Jim Murray, in his book The Complete Guide to Whiskey (Triumph 1997), discussing rye whiskeys (this is back when there were only a handful of them), states regarding mashbills and production,
    . . . Jim Beam's is 51 percent rye. The big boy is Old Overholt with an impressive 61 percent rye. * * * [I]n the case of the Beam brands, either their Claremont or Boston distilleries will be called into action, depending on which is available.
    Now, that was at least 15 years ago, but Old Overholt was established as a Beam product at that point, and he must have gotten that information from somewhere.
    I like Jim, but he gets some of his information from his vivid imagination.

Connoisseur

Old Overholt was something I could not even finish. Poured about half the bottle out. After that experience I did not bother trying the JB Rye since I figured they had to be the same stuff.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I neither like, nor dislike OO and Beam Rye. These ryes are so flat That they border on being comatose. I feel that any discovery effort put into comparing and contrasting them would be about as scintillating as doing the same with Aquafina and Dasani water.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

[QUOTE][/
    I've sampled two recent bottles of these back to back and they were almost indistinguishable. The Overholt might have had just a touch more bite, but it was very subtle. I like both of these better than Pikesville Rye, which saddens me as a Marylander. Although the Pikesville isn't made in Maryland, but in Bardstown by Heaven Hill!
    QUOTE]

After doing more tasting of the OO, Beam Rye, and Pikesville, I'm reversing my earlier statement. I now think Pikesville is my favorite of the three. And it also happens to be the cheapest in my area, less than $8 per bottle if you buy it by the case.

None of these are as flavorful as Rittenhouse, Sazerac, Handy, Bulleit, etc. But for my taste, for an inexpensive pour, I think I now would prefer these low cost ryes to almost any of the lower cost bourbons like EW black, Ancient Age, Beam White, etc.