Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Long Time Lurker, New to Posting

...or, Newbie from NoBama (North Alabama).

I have been lurking and reading here on and off for a couple of years now (!). I am impressed with the wealth of knowledge available. While I don't strictly consider myself a "bourbon guy" (more just a fan of American whiskeys first), bourbons are certainly included in my bar. I also don't really have the tasting language many of the fine folks here do, but always like trying new things and would do my best to offer a description if warranted. And I do truly enjoy the depth of background knowledge shared.

I'm very glad to be here!

Guru

Re: Long Time Lurker, New to Posting

Quote Originally Posted by fivedime View Post
    I also don't really have the tasting language many of the fine folks here do, but always like trying new things and would do my best to offer a description if warranted.
    Welcome aboard Charles, you don't have to ba a rocket scientist to describe what you like.
    Everyone's palate is different and everyone's taste memory and flavor comparison is too.

btw, I see on your profile that you are a rocket scientist, um, carry on.
    ovh

Novice

Heh, yep....rocket engineer, actually...but then again we're a dime a dozen in this town.

Guru

Welcome! I've enjoyed your posts, and I find your beard facinating.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur
    Welcome fivedime. I am a Newbie as well. Sounds like you are in the Huntsville area. Spend quite a bit of time there visiting my brother in law. Which bourbons do you like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enthusiast

Welcome Charles...please tell me your name is fivedime because you drive a Datsun 510.

Novice

Thanks everyone for the kind words and warm welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    ...I find your beard facinating.
    Thanks, I made it myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Ejmharris View Post
    Welcome fivedime. I am a Newbie as well. Sounds like you are in the Huntsville area. Spend quite a bit of time there visiting my brother in law. Which bourbons do you like?
    Yep, I am a somewhat recent transplant Huntsvillain (native Floridian prior, with 5 years off for good behavior, errr, college in Atlanta once upon a time). We like it here, hopefully your BIL does too (and you, when you visit).
    My favorite bourbon right now would probably be WT Rare Breed; also a fan of Blanton's and Maker's 46. I have tried a whole bunch of the more popular bourbons folks mention here, but unfortunately my overriding opinion of most is that they're really nice, but nothing memorable/standing out enough to bring me back. I'm sure my tastes will evolve over time. Jack is my real favorite whiskey, I know that won't win me much respect around here, but what can I say it was the first whiskey I learned to drink and still my favorite. Won't turn down Dickel, but I see no reason to buy it instead of Jack most days. Finally, I'm finding I really like the rye whiskeys I've tried...Sazerac and Bulleit being my favorite...the wife and I have been drinking a lot of Manhattans lately.

Quote Originally Posted by dridge11 View Post
    Welcome Charles...please tell me your name is fivedime because you drive a Datsun 510.
    Heh...nope...if my screen name were based on my car y'all would have to call me "PT Loser" LOL. It is somewhat car-related how I got it, though. many years ago I ordered a catalog from a company in California that made t-shirts, mostly based in vintage hot rod designs and older dragstrip logos. They wanted a whopping 50 cents in the mail for it...I didn't want to write a check for that, and I didn't have 2 quarters that day, but I did have 5 dimes. Knowing that if I just taped 'em to a piece of paper and stuck it in an envelope those new-fangled sorting machines might shred the whole deal (mostly because I'd gotten something in the mail a few weeks earlier where that very thing happened), I cut out a piece of cardboard just smaller than the envelope, then traced the five dimes on it and cut out holes for them. Taped 'em in place, sealed the envelope, mailed it off, ad promptly forgot the whole thing. A few weeks later I got a mysterious letter in the mail addressed to "Five Dime Gill", and was completely befuddled as to what was going on. Were some of my friends out there working on a movie, and making a comment about me being cheap? As soon as I opened it and saw the catalog, a little light bulb flickered over my head. I guess the presentation made an impression on the t-shirt folks. it has been my nickname since, and the obvious choice for me when signing up for email, forums, etc. back in the dawn of the interwebs.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by fivedime View Post
    ...or, Newbie from NoBama (North Alabama).

I have been lurking and reading here on and off for a couple of years now (!). I am impressed with the wealth of knowledge available. While I don't strictly consider myself a "bourbon guy" (more just a fan of American whiskeys first), bourbons are certainly included in my bar. I also don't really have the tasting language many of the fine folks here do, but always like trying new things and would do my best to offer a description if warranted. And I do truly enjoy the depth of background knowledge shared.

I'm very glad to be here!
    Welcome fellow Alabamian!

I'm near (practically on top of) the Florida line. I cross over to NW FL to find more variety. I'm curious as to whether you venture across state lines for certain bottles or more variety. (I haven't checked the AL ABC list since spring, so I don't know if we're getting more choices now or not. I seriously doubt it.)

Novice

Ummmm...theoretically I would head up to Fayetteville, TN if I wanted more selection, or stop in some favorite places in Nashville, Chattanooga, and Atlanta when I find myself out and about. Except that I believe it is illegal to purchase liquor out-of-state and bring it into Alabama, so, of course, I would never do that.

Yeah, that sounds about right.