Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Age statement question

Flyfish, in regard to the Four Roses Yellow, I stand corrected; in fact the way they have their website set up to explain the process is what I was hoping to find after staring at a bottle of McAfee's Benchmark and being unable to figure out almost anything about it at all. Evan Williams has a website, but there isn't a whole lot there to describe exactly how they but the bourbon together as compared to Four Roses, and Benchmark has nothing at all.

In regard to WT 101, I think that all age statements are simply the age of the youngest bourbon in the bottle, regardless of everything else. For the more informed consumer it's just nice to have the knowledge of the youngest link in the chain I imagine.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

jrobidoux is correct. Age statements refer to the youngest spirit in the bottle. They can and usually do also contain older spirits. The exceptions are bonds, single barrels and vintage bottlings, in which all of the spirit is from a given year.

With bourbon, the only mandatory age statements are for whiskeys under 4 years old. All others are optional, the producer's choice, so using them or not is essentially a marketing decision.

My question then still remains; why would brands like Evan Williams Black, McAfee's Benchmark, Ancient Age, Virginia Gentleman, Jim Beam White, etc., make almost no effort to differentiate themselves from one another. Four Roses Yellow actually goes to the point of stating the percentages of Corn, Rye, and Barley in their various mash bills, are they really the only ones who do this? I can't seem to find any other such information from other brands.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Some bourbons mention an age, some do not, or did but don't any longer. Mashbill information usually is scanty although sometimes mentioned on websites of the companies with varying detail. Writers on bourbon have often claimed to give the mashbill details of different distillers, but whether these are strictly accurate is hard to know.

I think in general distillers have felt that such details, with age a partial exception, were not of interest to the average consumer, and that consumer buys are based more on price, packaging/image, taste. Today with websites like this one and a more interactive environment in general for consumables at least, people want to know more, and information is available in various places for those who look, but still not readily from most packaging formats for distilled spirits, I agree.

Sometimes of course you saw in ads things like "mellow mash", or explaining use of wheat instead of the more commonly used rye, or explaining a charcoal filtration technique (famously for JD), but generally the producers stayed away from giving any hard information. Again I think it was felt most consumers don't want to know it and those will do will seek alternate sources of information.

Chuck may have a better perspective than me on this given his former bourbon industry experience.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 12-02-2011 at 07:16.

Everything Gary says is right. I would just add that we here who care about such things represent a small segment of the market. Enthusiasts are important because they are "heavy users," and because they spread their enthusiasm, so are influential to more casual drinkers. But something like 80 percent of whiskey drinkers are 'casual,' in that they have little or no interest in knowing anything about a whiskey except whether they like it or not, and whether or not they can afford it.

Another interesting example is the WT 101 age statement bottle that you can find outside of the US. I was on a cruise ship last year that had WT 101 that I believe had an 8 year age statement. It was either 8 or 10, but I believe it was 8. I couldn't side by side the 8 vs the standard NAS, so I don't know if there was a noticeable difference between the two, but I found the age statement interesting. Perhaps this has been explored in another thread already, but it seems they must do this because they feel that certain markets want that age statement.

Enthusiast

No, the 8 year you get in duty free areas is a completely different bourbon.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpstylz View Post
    No, the 8 year you get in duty free areas is a completely different bourbon.
    "Completely different" is a bit strong, but you're certainly correct that it is not just standard issue 101 with an age statement. It is, for one thing, a batch in which nothing younger than 8 years was used. But it's still Wild Turkey and it might very well be hard to distinguish between it and 101 in a taste test.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    "Completely different" is a bit strong, but you're certainly correct that it is not just standard issue 101 with an age statement. It is, for one thing, a batch in which nothing younger than 8 years was used. But it's still Wild Turkey and it might very well be hard to distinguish between it and 101 in a taste test.

You can tell them apart in a taste test but they are not light years apart. The 8yr old has a little more wood and a hint of smoke to it.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.