Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: VW Fall 2011 Allocation Actual Tasting Discussion

Saw the post this morning and enjoyed reading it immensely. I also find it ironic that in a thread titled VW Fall 2011 Allocation ACTUAL TASTING DISCUSSION there is no, as of yet, tasting discussion (apart from I like it and I like it a lot).

Keeping me entertained anyway...

My buddies and I only got the 2009 bottling of PvW 15 year (5 total bottles from this release; only 1 for me) or else I'd try to help out here.

Enthusiast

Great post! Entertaining and true on the rambling point of wthell is going on with this stuff here....

My local got in a case of the VWFRR and I ended up taking the bulk of it home with me after tasting it. It is quite superb. I left two bottles- one for the guy that works there and one for the shelf. If it is still there tomorrow, all bets are off.

As for the new BT 15 yo pappy. I do have a bottle, I have not cracked it open yet, but I will this evening. One thing I might say is- of the BT juice in general, I have liked much of it- but find a certain bit of thin dryness across the board that makes me yearn for the old Mattingly & Moore, Cabin Still and the like. (probably showing my age with that one). I just don't find quite as much of the richness in the BT as I remember and sometimes still find in some of the older stuff.

Anybody try this new 15, or 20 yet? Or compare it to anything?

Cheers,

RW
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most

Virtuoso

That was one of, if not the best post I've ever read on here!

It almost makes me happy I have damn near zero chance of buying or ever tasting any VW product.

Connoisseur

Seeing as how Van Winkle does not make it out to the piney woods as far as I know, so I'll stick with OWA and Weller 12 which I can pick up in about 1/4 of the stores out here.....

And enjoy my small allotment of dusty Old Fitz as I see fit.

Virtuoso

Ok Sody, I'll give it a shot.

(1) I just procured and opened a 2011 bottled PVW15 tonight. I do not have a prior bottling open to compare it to, so I'm going from memory, though it's been awhile since I've had the pleasure of PVW15. Like since the Spring. The top of the bottle comes across as less refined, a little denser in bitterness, and a drier finish than I recall from Pappy15. It's still really good and wholly unique on the market, but there's less to separate it from Weller than I recall.

Honestly, for all I know I'm comparing it to an idealized memory of Pappy 15. It has lost some lovin feeling, but I don't feel entirely objective.

(2) VWFRR - I opened one last night and it blew me away. I had only owned one bottle of this before, procured in the Fall 2010 allocation, and that bottle was a huge let down. I innocently and ignorantly saw it on the shelf last year, took it home and found a whiskey that shut it's own gummy, woody door before it began. Only after being open for 6 months did a flower-taffy-like character begin to emerge. The last few drops were delicious, but I was convinced the VWFFR was a hoax.

This current bottle, however, skipped the blunt, gummy, folded-upon-itself let down of the first 4/5 of my previous bottle and jumped right to the last fifth of singular rye I enjoyed too late before. It's absolutely delicious, and I finally understand why it's so revered in these parts.

I will now forever imagine you slicing through crowds with circular saw appendages and razor blade eye lashes. Well done!

(3) It is a well-established fact that Pappy's dog drank VVVEEOF 28 YO BiB exclusively, and would drag Pappy out to the links on particularly surly days, brimming with caddy-like enthusiasm while Pappy nervously swung his clubs waiting for Buck to pass out.

(4) PVW23. I will not buy this commercially, so I can't comment. I only buy the private eBay bottles for $600 a pop.

(5) Plan 'B'? There is no plan B! Seriously though, I found no reason to go back to this after being sorely disappointed by the two bottles I drank from the Spring allocation.

(6) I found the 10/107 I had from Spring allocation to be fuller and richer than Lot 'B' and much more tasty and mellow than OWA. I haven't yet tasted the current crop, but for $35 in these parts, I have every reason to grab whatever few I can find.

I was told by a knowledgeable Binny's operative that there will be no Spring 2012 allocation. True? Who knows. Four Roses makes a lot of bourbons...
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Taster

Just an awesome post. Enjoyed every minute. It just made me see that yet another great bourbon has fallen by the wayside. It can finally be laid to rest next to Mr. Centennial, Eagle Rare 101 and WTRR 101. I seriously fear for my Weller 12.

Enthusiast

Funny read, but I have a few comments (and these are largely unsubstantiated because I haven't cracked the one bottle I actually got my hands on for the Fall allocation):

1) Is it really fair to crack open a bottle of any wheater and compare it to a bottle on your shelf that has been open (presumably) for several months? Most here would agree that even two bottles from the same barrel taste differently given more/less exposure to air.
    2) I agree that the Pappy 20 is the flagship (and always has been) of this lineup. I've tried the PVW 23 and don't care for it as much as the 20, so why pay the extra $$$.
    3) I completely disagree that Lot B is crap. @ $45 bottle it is one of my favorites and proves to me that BT can put out excellent bourbon worthy of the Van Winkle heritage. When PVW15 was SW juice and there was < a $10 difference between the two, I would normally go with the 15 (given the choice), but Lot B seems to be much more readily accessible in my area.
    Lastly, and maybe I'm just not reading enough into the social commentary of a bourbon label, I was thinking the Dog/Caddy was merely a play on words in that the dog would be called "Cat-ty" during the round of golf. I guess this just shows that my post is completely irrelevant and my sense of humor much more basic .
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Ok Sody, I'll give it a shot.

(2) VWFRR - I opened one last night and it blew me away. I had only owned one bottle of this before, procured in the Fall 2010 allocation, and that bottle was a huge let down. I innocently and ignorantly saw it on the shelf last year, took it home and found a whiskey that shut it's own gummy, woody door before it began. Only after being open for 6 months did a flower-taffy-like character begin to emerge. The last few drops were delicious, but I was convinced the VWFFR was a hoax.

This current bottle, however, skipped the blunt, gummy, folded-upon-itself let down of the first 4/5 of my previous bottle and jumped right to the last fifth of singular rye I enjoyed too late before. It's absolutely delicious, and I finally understand why it's so revered in these parts.
    How is that these tanked ryes can vary so much from bottling to bottling (c.f. John Hansell's reviews of Saz 18 over the years)? Is it because there is more air contact as the tank is drained? Or do they take steps to keep that from happening? It seems counterintuitive that they would improve drastically from one bottling to the next after being tanked.

Anyway, I had a small taste of the VWFRR that I picked up the other day and it is really, really good. I've never had earlier versions so I don't have anything to compare it to. In fact the only extra-aged rye I've had is last year's Saz 18 which is also really good but it doesn't stand up to the Van Winkle in my opinion.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    How is that these tanked ryes can vary so much from bottling to bottling (c.f. John Hansell's reviews of Saz 18 over the years)? Is it because there is more air contact as the tank is drained? Or do they take steps to keep that from happening? It seems counterintuitive that they would improve drastically from one bottling to the next after being tanked.
    John addresses that issue here...

http://www.whiskyadvocateblog.com/20...-2009-release/

BTW, he called the 2010 Saz 18 "an improvement from last year’s release" and the 2011 "very similar to last year's release".

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    John addresses that issue here...

http://www.whiskyadvocateblog.com/20...-2009-release/

BTW, he called the 2010 Saz 18 "an improvement from last year’s release" and the 2011 "very similar to last year's release".
    Thanks, I hadn't taken the time to go back and re-read that. His surmise is "probably oxidation." I imagine that something similar could be happening with the VW.