Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: VW Fall 2011 Allocation Actual Tasting Discussion

As I mentioned before, I like it alot and would be glad to buy bottles of 2011 Pappy 15 at cost plus shipping from any disappointed hoarders.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by elmo View Post
    As I mentioned before, I like it alot and would be glad to buy bottles of 2011 Pappy 15 at cost plus shipping from any disappointed hoarders.
    But do you have experience with pre-2011 Pappy 15? If so, do you think it compares favorably?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    But do you have experience with pre-2011 Pappy 15? If so, do you think it compares favorably?
    Why does it matter? It was widely known that VW bottled enough in 2009 when the juice was 16yrs old to last them a couple years until their new supply was ready! I don't get the collective gasp over this years bottling of Pappy 15...

I haven't had the new version and most likely won't unless I trade for a sample but in all honesty I'm just not that interested in chasing down some! There is plenty of other worthy bourbon sitting readily available that is a viable alternative (PHC 2010) to Pappy 15! If you haven't had the opportunity to try that bourbon do yourself a favor and grab a bottle...your Pappy 15 yearning may be substantially reduced.
    Last edited by hectic1; 12-06-2011 at 13:51.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    Why does it matter? It was widely known that VW bottled enough in 2009 when the juice was 16yrs old to last them a couple years until their new supply was ready! I don't get the collective gasp over this years bottling of Pappy 15...

I haven't had the new version and most likely won't unless I trade for a sample but in all honesty I'm just not that interested in chasing down some! There is plenty of other worthy bourbon sitting readily available that is a viable alternative (PHC 2010) to Pappy 15! If you haven't had the opportunity to try that bourbon do yourself a favor and grab a bottle...your Pappy 15 yearning may be substantially reduced.
    I guess it matters because:
    -Pappy 15 is the #1 favorite bourbon on this forum.
    -Preston said in the podcast that it's no longer SW, but BT in the Pappy 15. That makes this a pivotal time for this great bourbon.
    -It's harder to find than ever, so it wouldn't make as much sense for people to work hard to track it down (or pay more for that matter) if it's not as good as previous years.
    -And I'm curious.

Connoisseur

-Pappy 15 is the #1 favorite bourbon on this forum.
    -Preston said in the podcast that it's no longer SW, but BT in the Pappy 15. That makes this a pivotal time for this great bourbon.
    -It's harder to find than ever, so it wouldn't make as much sense for people to work hard to track it down (or pay more for that matter) if it's not as good as previous years.
    -And I'm curious.
    Was there a vote I missed?
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    Was there a vote I missed?
    Actually, I must put my foot in my mouth here. I was thinking of this thread, which I read last week, but remembered incorrectly.

It's from 2008 and it looks like the 15 comes in as a tie for 3rd.

Enthusiast

Actually, at this point, I've passed on each opportunity I've had to buy Pappy 15 from this allocation - but I've had chances at probably between 4-6 bottles.

I'm only buying the Rye from the VWs this time around - and probably for the near future.

I don't think the 15 has been scarce. All the stores and folks I know - except one - has gotten several bottles of the 15, the 23 & Rye have been essentially "no shows" this time around (at least in the areas I'm familiar with). I think the 15, 12, and both 10's are pretty readily available, to the extent that if you wanted one and were on a list, you probably would get at least one of those offerings... at least around here in DFW.

Virtuoso

Perhaps it's still early to say . . .

Why is there this change for the worst for the 15 time and time again?

I still remember and still have the ORVW15 which was much better than the PVW15. And now the newer PVW15-BT is supposedly worse than the PVW15.

I also wonder is it because

ORVW15 is 100% SW > PVW15 mostly SW, slightly aged > PVW15-BT is 0% SW

--Hugh

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Actually, at this point, I've passed on each opportunity I've had to buy Pappy 15 from this allocation - but I've had chances at probably between 4-6 bottles.

I'm only buying the Rye from the VWs this time around - and probably for the near future.

I don't think the 15 has been scarce. All the stores and folks I know - except one - has gotten several bottles of the 15, the 23 & Rye have been essentially "no shows" this time around (at least in the areas I'm familiar with). I think the 15, 12, and both 10's are pretty readily available, to the extent that if you wanted one and were on a list, you probably would get at least one of those offerings... at least around here in DFW.
    I think it all depends on where you live. There was a lot less 15 here in MD then previous years, but we had a ton of rye. There were plenty of stores here you could walk in and find rye on the shelves a week after the release.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jfw View Post
    There were plenty of stores here you could walk in and find rye on the shelves a week after the release.
    That would be called Rye Valhalla.