Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Virtuoso

Re: VW Fall 2011 Allocation Actual Tasting Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Depends on how you define VW. Is the Heaven Hill-made OF really OF? Is OGD really OGD? SW was a distillery but VW is just a brand. As history demonstrates, brands have no obligation to remain consistent.
    No and no. OGB and OF are simply just names now. The brands were bought, not the whiskey. And yes, you're right, but as a discerning and regular consumer, I have no obligation to continue glorifying their products if, in my opinion, it changes in quality.

This is slightly off topic and I'll save the details for a different thread, but soon I'm going to do a past->present whiskey tasting with a couple friends. Basically we'll compare current offerings with their original counterparts before being sold off to different companies (i.e., OC12/90 BT vs UD juice, VSOF12 SW vs HH juice, etc). I'm sure the results will be fascinating.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by aea6574 View Post
    I have found two bottles, I know I am going to be sad when I open the first one and only have one left. And at $48.00, that would have been great.

Best regards, tony
    I still have several bunkered and am still acquiring more. I freakin' love that shit!

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    I still have several bunkered and am still acquiring more. I freakin' love that shit!

Josh

Come on Josh, I thought you spend all your time hunting BTAC and VW stuff...spend your time on those two offerings...leave the PHC in Indy on the shelf for me!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    Come on Josh, I thought you spend all your time hunting BTAC and VW stuff...spend your time on those two offerings...leave the PHC in Indy on the shelf for me!
    Hectic,

Are you having a hard time trying to find the PHC10 124.2's up there?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by StraightNoChaser View Post
    No and no. OGB and OF are simply just names now. The brands were bought, not the whiskey. And yes, you're right, but as a discerning and regular consumer, I have no obligation to continue glorifying their products if, in my opinion, it changes in quality.

This is slightly off topic and I'll save the details for a different thread, but soon I'm going to do a past->present whiskey tasting with a couple friends. Basically we'll compare current offerings with their original counterparts before being sold off to different companies (i.e., OC12/90 BT vs UD juice, VSOF12 SW vs HH juice, etc). I'm sure the results will be fascinating.
    actually, ogd was bought as whiskey. Beam still ues the original mashbill and yeast. Some people use this same line of logic to say that stitzel weller quit being stitzel weller when the distillery sold the first time to jb hunt/canada dry in the days of the early 70s. Recipe changed slightly.

are you going to do your tasting blind?
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    actually, ogd was bought as whiskey. Beam still ues the original mashbill and yeast. Some people use this same line of logic to say that stitzel weller quit being stitzel weller when the distillery sold the first time to jb hunt/canada dry in the days of the early 70s. Recipe changed slightly.

I do like current OGD, and while it is the same mashbill/yeast, or at least that's what Beam claims, it's a different animal from ND era OGD. A distillery leaves an imprint that you can't always replicate, IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, while Crow and Taylor are indeed gone, I do believe OGD lives on in a way. (Actually, I can believe the mashbill remaining more than the yeast. Maybe they started out using the OGD yeast, but it was quickly contaminated by Beam's inferior, and nasty, yeast strain. )

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post

I was thinking earlier that a blind tasting of each brand would be the best way to determine what is actually better

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    BTAC, yes, but I didn't have to hunt hard this year thanks to some great store managers and friends.

VW, I only grabbed two 15's (and only one's for me). And I picked up a ORVW/90 just for the hell of it. Got a good price.

And the PHC's are ALL MINE! I'm going to start writing my name on the bottles. :-D

Josh

Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Advanced Taster

Oh how things have changed (or not changed) in a year! Why, I'm getting rather nostalgic.

Advanced Taster

This thread makes me glad I have a bottle of 2011 PVW 20 hidden the the back of my cabinet.
    Women without whiskey...
    Women without whiskey...
    Whiskey's hard to beat.
    - Drive By Truckers