Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42
  1. #21
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    6,132

    Re: So I think I'm responsible for some Van Winkle price gouging.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jwilly019 View Post
    Just because we won't buy at those prices, doesn't mean someone else won't.
    Double BINGO!!
    .............
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  2. #22
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NE OH
    Posts
    1,784

    Re: So I think I'm responsible for some Van Winkle price gouging.

    Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    I thought that the whole point of retail was to sell stuff and get repeat customers. I must have been seriously mislead.
    There is a point of diminishing returns. It just has not found it's bottom yet.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

    GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

  3. #23
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    DelMarVa
    Posts
    1,867

    Re: So I think I'm responsible for some Van Winkle price gouging.

    My Van Winkles came in cheaper this fall than last fall or the spring release...Go figure.

  4. #24
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    5,226

    Re: So I think I'm responsible for some Van Winkle price gouging.

    Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    I thought that the whole point of retail was to sell stuff and get repeat customers. I must have been seriously mislead.
    Yes, and? I don't get your point. Are you saying I should pay whatever a retailer wants me to pay even if I don't think it's a fair price?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

  5. #25
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,324

    Re: So I think I'm responsible for some Van Winkle price gouging.

    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Yes, and? I don't get your point. Are you saying I should pay whatever a retailer wants me to pay even if I don't think it's a fair price?
    No Josh. I'm saying that the retailer is a moron. You SHOULD walk away. But will you want to go back? In addition, will Johnny X, who couldn't find it anywhere else and has now purchased it there want to go back anytime soon? Sure, maybe next year when the same thing happens, but until then? I see a high dollar sale but not a net gain on the retailer's part. It frustrates me that people think this way. but hey, this is America.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

  6. #26
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    6,132

    Re: So I think I'm responsible for some Van Winkle price gouging.

    Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    No Josh. I'm saying that the retailer is a moron. You SHOULD walk away. But will you want to go back? In addition, will Johnny X, who couldn't find it anywhere else and has now purchased it there want to go back anytime soon? Sure, maybe next year when the same thing happens, but until then? I see a high dollar sale but not a net gain on the retailer's part. It frustrates me that people think this way. but hey, this is America.
    Erik, you make valid points, and the risk a retailer takes in significantly marking up an item is real. That goes without saying. But, in this case, with these products, I do not blame him for commanding top dollar. It's so rare, the quantity is so small, and his "market" for it is so miniscule, I don't think it will hurt his everyday foot traffic one bit.

    By the way, you really bubbled over in posts last night. Holding them all in? Glad to see you back around.
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  7. #27
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    5,226

    Re: So I think I'm responsible for some Van Winkle price gouging.

    Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    No Josh. I'm saying that the retailer is a moron. You SHOULD walk away. But will you want to go back? In addition, will Johnny X, who couldn't find it anywhere else and has now purchased it there want to go back anytime soon? Sure, maybe next year when the same thing happens, but until then? I see a high dollar sale but not a net gain on the retailer's part. It frustrates me that people think this way. but hey, this is America.
    Gotcha. I've been drinking less than usual recently and it my brain isn't what it was.

    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post

    By the way, you really bubbled over in posts last night. Holding them all in? Glad to see you back around.
    Ditto, good to see you back Erik!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

  8. #28
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    302

    Re: So I think I'm responsible for some Van Winkle price gouging.

    I know I contributed to it a little as well. Paid $130 for the 20 yr., which seems to be 10-30 over others. Wanted to get a bottle or two for the very modest (but growing) bunker and be done with it.

  9. #29
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Chicago 'burbs
    Posts
    1,119

    Re: So I think I'm responsible for some Van Winkle price gouging.

    Quote Originally Posted by yountvillewjs View Post
    I know I contributed to it a little as well. Paid $130 for the 20 yr., which seems to be 10-30 over others. Wanted to get a bottle or two for the very modest (but growing) bunker and be done with it.
    Did you say, "done with it"? No, clearly you don't understand the term 'bunker.'
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

  10. #30
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    302

    Re: So I think I'm responsible for some Van Winkle price gouging.

    Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Did you say, "done with it"? No, clearly you don't understand the term 'bunker.'
    I meant I wanted to be done with the Pappy-bunker chase.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. (ri)1 - The Right Price
    By StraightBoston in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 04-18-2011, 12:00
  2. I Am Confused. What Is The Price Of Van Winkle 15 and 20?
    By MJL in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-04-2008, 17:10
  3. Retail Price Inflation of Van Winkle Rye
    By cowdery in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-29-2007, 11:42
  4. Van Winkle 13yr. vs. Van Winkle 12yr.
    By drfred in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-03-2002, 13:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top