Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Advanced Taster

Re: Beam Ri1 vs Knob Creek Rye

Quote Originally Posted by Ejmharris View Post
    It appears the Ri1 is one that is really struggling. I was on a march to find some items last Friday and hit A LOT of stores in Ohio, Northern Kentucky and SE Indiana. This stuff was priced anywhere from $55 to $25 (two Indiana locations). I had an owner at a NKY store see me looking at the WT Rye next to it on the shelf and say if you want the Ri1 you can have it for $40(priced $48). I told him no thanks and he said how about $35. Sounded like he was begging me to take it. I haven't tried it but that didn't give me a great feeling about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ri1 was my first introduction to rye whiskey. I had it in a bar and I loved it. I initially could not find it in stores so I bought some Beam rye and old Overholt. While I thought they were decent, I remembered the Ri1 being better. Last month I finally found some. It was not as good as I remembered at the bar but it was clearly better than the others. The oYthers seem quite thin by comparison. Not long after that I bought some Bulleit. While also better than the Beam and OO, I still preferred the ri1. It is the best rye I have tried with the limited local selection I have to deal with.

Connoisseur

In Maryland, you should be able to find Pikesville, which I enjoyed the one time I had it.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    In Maryland, you should be able to find Pikesville, which I enjoyed the one time I had it.
    Great suggestion! I saw this reply when I was near a liquor store, and they had this in stock for ~$8.95. I got home and immediately poured myself some, and put it up against Old Overholt. The Pikesville has just a touch less bite, but not by much. I'd like to have a bottle of Beam Rye around to compare, but I don't. The Pikesville is enjoyable, but seems to be in the same class as Old Overholt and Beam Rye...very nice, but not as good as Bulleit and Ri1 (best of this bunch).

Thanks for the suggestion. Given the price, I'm not dissapointed.

Connoisseur

Venture down the Red Line to DC and a lot of stores have Rittenhouse Rye at the moment. A couple also have Sazerac. They're both a bit more full-flavored than the Pikesville, Beam, and the like.