Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Quintessential Inexpensive Rye

I've missed the Willet this last release... I need to get some.

Keep hearing great things about it. Given how much I love Handy, I'm betting the Willet is a real treat!

I'd also love to try the Abraham Bowman Cask Strength Rye that Party Source bottles...

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by BFerguson View Post
    My two cents...

While the above mentioned are all very good, I'd toss out Bulleit and Jeff as being on the far edge of the rye spectrum. More so the Jeff than Bulleit.

Turkey, Baby Saz, and Ritt BIB are also very good example of this class. Saz more so than Turkey in my taste. And who doesn't love the Ritt.

But the one that I would recommend hands down, would be the Willett 4yr rye.

Full body, full flavor, near barrel proof great pour that drinks absolutely great neat, brought down with water, or in a nice cocktail.

While I hoard Saz and Ritt because of scarcity, given a choice, I'd think I'd take the Willett any day.

B
    You want scarcity? Saz and Ritt may be allocated, but they're not going anywhere as brands. Willett Cask Rye?? This will be a dusty soon.

You here that sucking sound? It's the sound of Diageo drying up the LDI Rye independent market.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    You want scarcity? Saz and Ritt may be allocated, but they're not going anywhere as brands. Willett Cask Rye?? This will be a dusty soon.

You here that sucking sound? It's the sound of Diageo drying up the LDI Rye independent market.
    I hear you on that. I'm glad i've banked a couple away for a rainy day.

It i kind of said because I really do think they, LDI, make a really great rye.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Disciple

I'm going against the flow here, but I like rye whiskeys and do not like Baby Saz. The pine forest flavor is too much for me. To me, the Turkey 101 rye is the "starter" rye for someone who wants to learn what rye is.

Virtuoso

You have been given some good advice. Baby Saz and Wild Turkey Rye are both riding right down the middle of the Rye Highway and should be easy to find, they are what you are looking for. Rittenhouse and Pikesville also qualify.

Also easy to find, Jim Beam and Ri will give you a hint of an idea of what Rye can be but they are both a little understated on some of Rye's best attributes. They have the advantage of being sold in most bars and you can buy a drink or two befor you pony up for a bottle.

Let us know what you think after you explore a few Ryes.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Jim Beam and Ri
    I'd respectfully disagree. Neither are particularly good, nor great examples of Rye.

The Ri1 in some markets is still around $40 a bottle, while in others it's $20 (and still overpriced, IMHO). Honestly, can't tell too much difference between JB Rye & Ri1 - other than the super sexy vodka-like bottle that Ri1 is in.

I find them both thin, watery, and lowest common denominators of what Rye can be. In fact, I'd say they are the "rye for people who don't like rye but want to say they drink/mix with it." Ultimately both are best left as mixers, if used at all, rather than archetypes of the flavor.

Some fans of Rye typically avoid both of those expressions (I do).

Just my $.02 - no disrespect intended if you enjoy them.

Advanced Taster

Those Willett ryes are all LDI, no? The one I tasted was so minty I might as well have been guzzling mouthwash. LDi just isn't for me, I think.
    Ryan

Disciple

If you start with a Beam Rye, you may never drink Rye again.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by nivto View Post
    Those Willett ryes are all LDI, no? The one I tasted was so minty I might as well have been guzzling mouthwash. LDi just isn't for me, I think.
    LDI Rye has a strong wintergreen aspect that isn't for everyone.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

My favorite is Rittenhouse BIB. Around here, most bartenders swear by Wild Turkey Rye. By far the best selling rye is Jim Beam Rye.