Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Quintessential Inexpensive Rye

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Funny - I get a "dill flavor" from many rye-heavy whiskies that very few others seems to experience - may be some genetic thing with taste buds?

Anyhow, I don't find it off-putting in most cases, just part of the flavor profile that appears to me from time to time (I find it far more often in Rye heavy bourbon, vs. straight rye)
    I get it occasionally, too, but not always. Off the top of my head, I think I get pickles from Saz 18, Baby Saz, WT Rye and occasionally WT 101 bourbon. Maybe Beam rye, too, I can't remember.

Speaking of Beam, I don't mind their rye. I like it a lot more than either the white or black label bourbons. I think the Beam yeast actually works a lot better with their rye than their bourbon, for what it's worth.

Taster

I get that flavor big time in Rendezvous Rye.

Disciple

So Zanaspus, what Ryes have now you purchased and tried? Thoughts? Are you a fan?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I understand that popularity and quality are two different things but if someone is interested in rye whiskey, they might find it instructive to try what most people mean when they think of rye whiskey. If you're discovering something new, a good baseline is always the product of that type that dominates the marketplace. How will you know Rit BIB is better if you don't compare it to something?

Plus being reminded that popularity is not the same as quality is tiresome. As insights go, it's not very impressive.
    Last edited by cowdery; 12-12-2011 at 11:45.

Disciple

30+ replies and nobody has mentioned Old Overholt yet?

I like the phrasing of the original question:
    Which rye do you taste and say, "if a person tries and likes this, he's hooked for life on rye whiskey, and if he doesn't like it, he really doesn't like rye."

Ritt BIB is my favorite, too, but precisely for its more bourbon-ish and less rye-like qualities -- I don't think it answers the question. WT Rye and JB yellow label (or OO) would be my recommendations (kind of like the Scotch question should split into peated vs. unpeated to really cover all tastes.)
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    So Zanaspus, what Ryes have now you purchased and tried? Thoughts? Are you a fan?
    Thinking I'll make it to the liquor store Thursday. I'll quaff then and give impressions.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I understand that popularity and quality are two different things but if someone is interested in rye whiskey, they might find it instructive to try what most people mean when they think of rye whiskey. If you're discovering something new, a good baseline is always the product of that type that dominates the marketplace. How will you know Rit BIB is better if you don't compare it to something?

Plus being reminded that popularity is not the same as quality is tiresome. As insights go, it's not very impressive.
    It only dominates the market because it's made and marketed by the mighty Beam, who uses that influence to force distribution on lazy retail and restaurant buyers who just want the cheapest and easiest path.

I would say that both Beam Rye and OO barely taste like anything, much less the "baseline Rye," which is why this gentleman should buy WT and Baby Saz. But I agree that one should try Beam and OO Rye, so order it at any number of restaurants off their rail.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    I'd say Sazerac (Saz Jr or Baby Saz around these parts) if you can find it. It isn't my favorite but it is pretty representative of the style. It would be a good starting point, anyway. Otherwise Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond (again, if you can find it). ...
    I'm sure some would suggest Wild Turkey Rye, and I think you should definitely try it at some point, but it seems to be kind of polarizing.
    Quote Originally Posted by roostercogburn View Post
    ... However, the Turkey is powerful, knock-you-in-the-throat stuff. It's not as easy-drinking as Ritt BIB ....
    I agree that the Sazerac Rye (with no age statement/"Saz Jr."/"Baby Saz") is an excellent introduction for the novice rye drinker.

I would not recommend Wild Turkey Rye 101 proof as an introduction to rye whiskey. As roostercogburn says, it is powerful and not as easy drinking ... it would be a better second or third rye to try.

Old Portrero Single Malt Straight Rye Whiskeys are closer to $70-$80 in price, and are way more than an inexpensive, under $30 level. As they are 100% ryes and are powerful, 'knock-you-in-the throat' ryes - I would not suggest them as a first rye experience.

Bulleit Rye and Templeton Rye are very good introductory ryes, and quite smooth. These 95% ryes are great ryes and, if I'm not mistaken, may likely be closer to the ryes of 100 years ago.

Enjoy.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post

You wouldn't leave wheaters out of an overview/quintessential discussion about Bourbon, right?

timd, sorry for the brief response earlier. No, I wouldn't leave the wheaters out, they are very much bourbon. I agree that the 95%ers are a form of rye whiskey, the point I was trying to make is that they are somewhat non-standard for the profile. Agreed, however, that at least one of the less expensive ones (say Bulliet) be thrown in the mix so a newbie might have a good idea of what those taste like.

My two favorite ryes that are still possible to find are Thomas Handy (most specifically 2008) and the more recent party source 10 year old saz barrel proof offer. The rye is absolutely there, but the corn and barley compliment it. I like the combination of grains, but you're right- that is a personal preference.

My favorite unavailable ryes are Hirsch Rye, and Dougdog's Rye. Hirsch Rye was from the same source as some of the earlier van winkle rye, and the hirsch stuff- now that was absolutely, totally mind-numbing rye whiskey. I know nothing about Dougdog's Rye as far as mashbill is concerned, but it's very good stuff.

That being said, I also very much like some of the "fuller rye" offerings that have been thrown out there. for example, Highwest 16 (80% rye) and 12 (unsure on the percentage or source) are both absolutely stunning whiskeys. Their 21 (53%) is also very, very good and interesting stuff.

All of this being said, in a completely blind taste test of several different rye whiskeys, I scored Rittenouse BIB a point higher than 4 or 5 other higher (significantly, in a few cases) priced whiskeys. Apparently I like it that much.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightBoston View Post
    30+ replies and nobody has mentioned Old Overholt yet?

I like the phrasing of the original question:
    Which rye do you taste and say, "if a person tries and likes this, he's hooked for life on rye whiskey, and if he doesn't like it, he really doesn't like rye."

Ritt BIB is my favorite, too, but precisely for its more bourbon-ish and less rye-like qualities -- I don't think it answers the question. WT Rye and JB yellow label (or OO) would be my recommendations (kind of like the Scotch question should split into peated vs. unpeated to really cover all tastes.)
    I agree that Old Overholt should be thrown into the mix, but I don't feel that it should be the qualifier that determines whether or not one likes ryes. I love Ritt, Handy, some of the ORVWRRs, but I don't particularly care for OO. Likewise, I don't really care for Highland Park, yet I really, really like Laphroiag (QC and 18yr) and Glenlivet (Nadurra, 15 & 18 yr)

It only dominates the market because it's made and marketed by the mighty Beam, who uses that influence to force distribution on lazy retail and restaurant buyers who just want the cheapest and easiest path.

I would say that both Beam Rye and OO barely taste like anything, much less the "baseline Rye," which is why this gentleman should buy WT and Baby Saz. But I agree that one should try Beam and OO Rye, so order it at any number of restaurants off their rail.
    I disagree. If there was no demand, supply would start to dwindle. A lot of it does have to do with advertising, but Beam is cheap and it's not bad bourbon from the perspective of someone eyeballing Jack, WT, Beam, and EW. It's got more character than EW, it's less expensive than WT and Jack. Why not? Jim Beam is an American whiskey, made for the American Worker. Just like Marlboros. As long as there is demand, there will be supply. And with many people, they simply don't want to try something new and more expensive.

I have, on many occasions, drank JBW neat. I foresee myself doing so many more times. It's not the worst bourbon ever made by a longshot.
    Last edited by ErichPryde; 12-12-2011 at 16:50.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I don't agree with that demeaning and insulting view of either American whiskey drinkers or retailers. Overholt, Beam, Turkey and Rittenhouse (Heaven Hill) kept rye alive when it virtually went extinct. They continued to supply rye drinkers and rye drinkers, despite their shrinking numbers, continued to buy those brands, which had enough patronage to survive. Just because I like something different than what somebody else likes doesn't automatically mean they are mindless sheep who are brainwashed into buying a substandard product, as you and many others seem to believe. Give people a little more credit. Why does liking something you don't have to make them idiots?