Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Quintessential Inexpensive Rye

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    Now that's a rye I haven't tried, and would love to. I'll have to hunt one down one of these days! Who owns the fleischmann's name?
    It's only sold in Wisconsin for some strange reason, and it's made at Barton of all places. Since Sazerac bought it, I'm waiting for it to all go into Baby Saz.

It's actually pretty damn good. $18.99 for a handle, and it's now only in handles.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    It's only sold in Wisconsin for some strange reason, and it's made at Barton of all places. Since Sazerac bought it, I'm waiting for it to all go into Baby Saz.

It's actually pretty damn good. $18.99 for a handle, and it's now only in handles.
    I THOUGHT it might be barton. I think their mashbill is 53% rye... I will have to hunt some down.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Disciple

I THOUGHT it might be barton. I think their mashbill is 53% rye... I will have to hunt some down.
    Maybe if they do start blending it in, you and I may start to actually like Baby Saz.

It's funny, but Barton and B-F make my favorite cheap Ryes, but most people never associate those places with Rye.
    Last edited by White Dog; 12-13-2011 at 19:15.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Maybe if they do start blending it in, you and I may start to actually like Baby Saz.

It's funny, but Barton and B-F make my favorite cheap Ryes, but most people never associate those places with Rye.
    A quantity of the rye that HW has, came from Barton stocks.Their 21 year old is Barton stock. Of course, the mashbill now could be different than it was in 1990ish, but I don't know why it would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Disciple

A quantity of the rye that HW has, came from Barton stocks.Their 21 year old is Barton stock. Of course, the mashbill now could be different than it was in 1990ish, but I don't know why it would be.
    I've heard that. In fact, somewhere on this site Perkins said as much. And a friend recently poured me a taste of the 21yr Rye, and I thought it was amazing.

And I'm sure it's the same mashbill, given Kentucky's penchant for change.
    Last edited by White Dog; 12-13-2011 at 19:55.

Guru

I had a chance to taste a 100% rye made by Barton..... superb stuff! Unfortunately, it (and their wheater) is not likely to see the light of day (except maybe via Bowman or the bulk market).
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    I had a chance to taste a 100% rye made by Barton..... superb stuff! Unfortunately, it (and their wheater) is not likely to see the light of day (except maybe via Bowman or the bulk market).
    They make a wheated recipe???

Where has it been going? I would assume that now it can simply go into Weller, but were they making it prior to Sazerac ownership??

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

According to Buffalo Trace, no one knows why Barton was making wheated bourbon and nothing has been done with it yet. I don't think it's very old.

Barton was quietly doing contract distilling and selling bulk whiskey before Sazerac took over.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    According to Buffalo Trace, no one knows why Barton was making wheated bourbon and nothing has been done with it yet. I don't think it's very old.

Barton was quietly doing contract distilling and selling bulk whiskey before Sazerac took over.
    And people wonder why conspiracy theories abound concerning Kentucky Whiskey? "According to BT, no one knows why..."

If you shelled out millions for Tom Moore, would you not think to ask Constellation, or whomever sold it to you, "Hey, what's up with the Wheater??"
    Last edited by White Dog; 12-14-2011 at 21:31.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post

When I tasted it in the fall of 2010 is was four years old. KenPierce, who was the Master Chemist at Barton, told me that they (Barton) had planned a wheater release when the juice was five or six years old. BT's acquisition put an end to that. The BT rep on hand said the wheater would not be released to the public but wouldn't say why. (I suspect they wanted to avoid confusion / competition with the Weller expressions.) Same with the "pure" rye.

My hope is that at least some of this whiskey gets released via one of Bowman's "one-off" bottlings. Otherwise I imagine it will end up on the bulk market.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."