Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Connoisseur

Warm greetings from Boston

Hello!

What a fantastic forum! I've been reading threads all over, and this looks like a great place to spend some time. For years I was a single-malt scotch drinker (and still am), but like some other folks, I started buying bourbons for everyday because of the lower prices (sadly, bourbon prices for decent bottles seem be creeping up constantly around here...)

I stumbled into SB while looking for hints on a good way to filter cork bits out of an old bottle (in my case, a WT 86.8 brown label from around 1980 that belonged to my late grandfather). Today, I'll pick up a funnel, and tonight I'll try filtering, either through a fine metal mesh screen, or through a coffee filter.

I snuck a taste from the bottle, and it's quite good, even for having been opened in the early 80's when it was nothing special, and sitting sealed all these years -- when the cork top broke off, the bottle made a little whistling breathing noise (I think breathing in) for over ten seconds.

Incidentally, I work just up the street from a store that seems to hold a special place in the hearts of Boston-area whiskey enthusiasts, Federal Wine & Spirits. Great store for unusual bottles, but bad for my wallet!

Joel aka Kalessin

Disciple

Re: Warm greetings from Boston

Welcome Joel! I work in Burlington -- maybe we can get a little critical mass from the north of Boston crowd (south and Metro West are better represented.)

Stopping by Federal on a lunch break sounds like a perk to me!

(Regarding the broken cork, I've gone through this quite a few times with old decanters. I pour through a coffee filter into a wine flask, then use the funnel to refill into any bottle laying around -- even the finest mesh doesn't seem to keep all of the cork bits out. The problem with the filter is you have to pour slowly.)
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Taster

Welcome! I work downtown occasionally and keep trying to make time to stop in to Federal, it just never seems to work out.

Welcome aboard I hope you like it here. From what I have read a fine mesh metal screen is better because coffee filters pull out too many of the oils and fats from the bourbon. But when I had a cork break a coffee filter was all I had and it worked fine.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

Today's project: find a very fine food-grade mesh screen (this may take a trip to Chinatown, where the restaurant supply places have all kinds of cool things).

Connoisseur

The operation was a success! The patient is now resting quietly in my cabinet bar with only a small loss of fluid. Full writeup to follow.

Virtuoso

Howdy and welcome from Michigan.

Best regards, tony