Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Why the low ABV hate?

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    I think the blenders' standard practice in Scotland is even lower, like 20% for nosing.
    20% ABV = 40 proof (American). Or did you mean 20 proof?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    20% ABV = 40 proof (American). Or did you mean 20 proof?
    Whoops!

/need more coffee.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    I think the blenders' standard practice in Scotland is even lower, like 20% for nosing.
    One hears this often. I think many distilleries do sensory analysis in the 40 proof to 60 proof. They're trying to optimize most of all their ability to detect flaws and pull bad barrels out of a vatting. Also, to avoid dulling their senses as long as possible. Tweaking a vatting to stay on profile is a different question, which I'd like to discuss with people in the QC lab. I wonder if this is done heavily watered as well.

I drink to optimize my enjoyment, and I usually enjoy 100 proof better than 60 proof. Sometimes quite a bit higher. When I taste to choose a barrel, I like to present the samples at whatever proof they will be bottled.

Roger

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    One hears this often. I think many distilleries do sensory analysis in the 40 proof to 60 proof. They're trying to optimize most of all their ability to detect flaws and pull bad barrels out of a vatting. Also, to avoid dulling their senses as long as possible. Tweaking a vatting to stay on profile is a different question, which I'd like to discuss with people in the QC lab. I wonder if this is done heavily watered as well.

I drink to optimize my enjoyment, and I usually enjoy 100 proof better than 60 proof. Sometimes quite a bit higher. When I taste to choose a barrel, I like to present the samples at whatever proof they will be bottled.

Roger
    I've done some side-by-side nosings on my own and 20% is really great for getting the most out of the aroma. But it's not much fun to drink at that strength.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    One hears this often. I think many distilleries do sensory analysis in the 40 proof to 60 proof. They're trying to optimize most of all their ability to detect flaws and pull bad barrels out of a vatting. Also, to avoid dulling their senses as long as possible.

Roger
    Excellent point.

I suppose one could compare testing at 40 proof to food tasting at whatever the optimal temperature for human taste buds is. For quality control it might be best to taste the food lukewarm, but who really wants to eat lukewarm soup?

I like whiskey best neat, and generally speaking I like it best at 100 to 110 proof. Though, I drink Stagg and Handy at barrel proof. Stagg is more of a challenge but if you take small sips and space those sips out you'll be fine.

At higher proofs you get more of that vapor carryover into your sinuses. And that can be a good thing. I enjoy it, within reason. Especially if I pair a bourbon with food. Dilute ORVW 10/107 down to 50 proof, take a sip, swallow, take a bite of dark chocolate, and when you still have a bit of chocolate residue in your mouth take another sip. Now do the same with it at 107. You will notice how much more intense the chocolate tastes.

How is it that Beam gets away with its white label at 37%?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Andre28 View Post
    How is it that Beam gets away with its white label at 37%?
    Lemme guess, you're in Australia?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

That's Orstray-ya to you Yankee

Most bourbon 80 proofers taste watery. Scotch not so much but it's hard to find an 80pf bourbon with 12 odd years under it's belt. Scotch is often light at 80pf.

Light and watery are different characters to me. Not sure how to relate that.
    Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns
    They should sell Pappy by the gallon, everyone buys the whole shelf anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT
    I'm wearing a kilt right now...
    I feel like the fat Britney
    P_Elliots word of the day: odacity, coaqulate, preflent

ha, is Beam 80 proof stateside?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Andre28 View Post
    ha, is Beam 80 proof stateside?
    Yup it is. In the US 80 proof is the legal minimum. If a whiskey is lower than that it has to be labeled as "diluted". Some states don't allow liquor over a certain proof to be sold in grocery stores, so the diluted versions are produced for sale there.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog