Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Connoisseur

Nominees for best mouthfeel

While making some tasting notes, I got to thinking about what it is I look for in a bourbon. It occured to me that a big part of the pleasure is not directly related to the nose or to specific flavors but to texture. I really like a thick, rich, full mouthfeel. The kind that leads to literally smacking the lips (which my wife finds amusing) and is further enhanced by running my tongue over the roof of my mouth to release yet another wave of flavor.
    So, I was wondering what bourbons SBers find the richest in mouthfeel. Any nominees?
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Disciple

Re: Nominees for best mouthfeel

Many aged Wheaters give me a rich mouthfeel, like certain Pappy 15s, Jeff 17, PHC Wheater, and even Weller 12.

Also, FR SB LE 2009 stands out, when drops of water are added, and dusty OFBIB DSP-414 has a lush mouthfeel.

There are others, but as a category, I would give it to the Wheaters when it comes to a rich, buttery mouthfeel.

Disciple

I'll echo White Dog - aged wheaters and some of the high end Four Roses offerings are the first thing that come to mind for me...maybe with the Four Roses taking the nod over the wheaters.

Of course I find a lot of dusties to have a better mouthfeel than current production stuff. I was fortunate to taste some of Yellowstone's Mellow Mash and it was fantastic...a great mouthfeel and it doesn't taste like anything around today, in my opinion.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    OFBIB DSP-414 has a lush mouthfeel.
    I agree with White Dog.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Great Topic! I am nothing if not an epicurean and truly mouth feel needs to bee just as well arrived at as flavor. So with that said I can resolutely tell you what my favorite bourbons are and, one of the biggest reasons they are is b/c of the decadent, "stick to your gums" mouth feel they give me: Rip Van Winkle 10 year 107 proof/WL Weller 107 proof (I believe they are quite literally one and the same thing, it is just the WL is a slightly lesser form of the Rip). And the king for me is the William Larue Weller Antique collection which...i understand is just a greater incarnation of the aforementioned. See a trend here?