Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Abraham Bowman BOURBON

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I review it in the new Reader. While it's more wood than I normally like, the other side of the coin is an intense fruitiness that is very nice. I compared it to the Cognac-finished Parker's. It has that kind of richness. Very nicely done.

How much did you guys pay. I said about $70. Worth it, I think.
    I paid a little under 70. For 138.6 proof GOOD whiskey, that is value for money IMO.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    You on the other hand that would last a couple months!
    Months...doubtful...weeks...maybe...but only if it was open.

Just cracked my bottle. Intense caramel notes - first sip - boy id thid hot n spicy! Added a little water - now i smell figs - toasty oak finish with a lingering brown sugar taste.

Virtuoso

Any newer/further updates on this one? I am about to buy a TPS Barrel #1 bottle. Been sittin on the fence a couple of weeks waiting til payday. From all I read, barrel #1 is considered 3rd place behind the Bowman gift shop & TPS Barrel #5 bottles. However, beggars can't be choosy!

Any reason I should hold off and wait for another barrel release in the future???

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Any newer/further updates on this one? I am about to buy a TPS Barrel #1 bottle. Been sittin on the fence a couple of weeks waiting til payday. From all I read, barrel #1 is considered 3rd place behind the Bowman gift shop & TPS Barrel #5 bottles. However, beggars can't be choosy!

Any reason I should hold off and wait for another barrel release in the future???
    I wouldn't wait on this one as they might not bottle this expression again. 18 year old bourbons aren't exactly plentiful. 11 bottles left at TPS.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainQ View Post
    I wouldn't wait on this one as they might not bottle this expression again. 18 year old bourbons aren't exactly plentiful. 11 bottles left at TPS.
    Words of wisdom!
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I don't believe the bottle I have, which didn't come from TPS, is single barrel. I suspect TPS didn't have much to choose from and the single barrel isn't much different from the general release. I agree with the consensus. If you have any interest in this product and have a chance to snag some, don't wait.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I don't believe the bottle I have, which didn't come from TPS, is single barrel. I suspect TPS didn't have much to choose from and the single barrel isn't much different from the general release. I agree with the consensus. If you have any interest in this product and have a chance to snag some, don't wait.
    From all I hear, there was not much volume in these releases. Kinda surprised anybody got private barrel opportunities. Usually, I will buy a couple of anything in which I have interest that is in short supply. That way, if I like it, I have another in the bunker. If I don't, always somebody out there who does and trade could be in order. So, I went ahead and took the plunge for a single. Can't hurt to have one more older age-stated bottle while we can still get it....lol

Didnt see a thread on the Rye but I see Party Source has the 90 proof rye instock right now but appears to be different than the bottling they had before at the same price. Anyone tried this bottling at all?

Are the others still available anywhere in VA?

Quote Originally Posted by ncmussell View Post
    Didnt see a thread on the Rye but I see Party Source has the 90 proof rye instock right now but appears to be different than the bottling they had before at the same price. Anyone tried this bottling at all?

Are the others still available anywhere in VA?
    The 90 proof was just being rolled out all of NoVA last week (the stores in the southern part of the state don't carry it for whatever reason) and the gift shop also has it in stock. I was a little apprehensive to pay $70 for a 10yr 90 proof rye, especially considering the (older) barrel strength bourbon and ryes under the same label, but I bought a bottle anyway. Good rye (and I'm assuming it's good based on the strength of those past releases) is just not that easy to come by these days. With that said, I haven't opened the bottle...I just have too many open already. I am also very curious to hear others' opinions!