Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Is WSR a representative wheater?

First, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year.

So I am aware that there are many threads about WSR, wheaters in general, and the rye-wheater dichotomy. They all pertain to my question but cannot exactly answer it.

Background: I recently bought my first wheater in WSR. While I enjoy it for what it is, it doesn't do it for me in the same way that rye bourbons like WT101, FR1b, FRY, even cheaper ones like EW, do it for me (insert emoticon here). Also, I have tried Makers at a bar and found it decent but not worth the $28 it retails for here in College Town, Missouri. And probably most importantly, my budget does not really allow for exploration in VW or PHC territory.

Question: Should I end my bi-curious interest in wheaters? Is WSR a representative enough wheater that I can make my decision based on one fifth of the stuff? Searching for relevant posts, I saw that Chuck once said that Weller 12 was a good way of determining whether or not you like wheaters. Does the same hold for WSR?
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Re: Is WSR a representative wheater?

Some people like Jason Pyle think that young wheaters tend to be too flat at young ages. I tend to agree. I know many on the board have a lot of good things to say about the young Wellers like Special Reserve and Antique, but I can't agree after drinking 2 bottles of Antique.

Older wheaters, starting with ORVW 10/107 are a different story with me. Weller 12 should be a decent indicator, though I would love if it was a higher proof. You shouldn't feel like you've tried the category and they are not to your taste yet.

Disciple

You probably know enough to say you're not likely to enjoy younger wheaters. If you're staying with the college-town budget, you'll get more bang for your buck by trying various ryed-bourbons. That doesn't mean you won't one day fall in love with Saz or Pappy, but at ~$20 bottle, wheaters probably won't be your regulars.

Keep an eye out for other wheaters at bars and for 50 mL bottles at stores. You never know when you'll get a chance to try again for $5 instead of $30.

Virtuoso

I would give OWA a chance before giving up. It's much more bold than WSR. You might also try Old Fitzgerald. As HH's standard wheater, it's spicier than BT's wheated juice.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Advanced Taster

OWA107 is ur best bet for $25 or less and if u don't like that u prob don't like wheaters and even if u do there is none left in ur budget as they're aren't that many overall around right now.

Advanced Taster

I was a lot like you. When I first started out, I was all about the higher rye bourbons (mmm WT) and did the same as you and picked up some WSR and wasn't exactly floored with it. Then I found a OWA and it started opening my eyes to how wheaters can open up and start to wow you. Then I got some PHC and WLW. Changes the game. For me wheaters are a nice change of pace when you want something a little sweeter.

Also, I hope you have tried OGD114 if you like the higher ryes.

Happy Holidays.
    -Andy

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - The Dude

Connoisseur

When I started out I first tried WSR, as my first bourbon. It sells like hotcakes here in Texas. Didn't do a thing for me except teach me how to find a mixed drink I enjoyed.

Took me a while to try another bourbon, and I settled on Bulleit for a while. Then I tried Weller 12, and it really changed my ideas.

I'd say don't give up on wheaters, but just wait till you're ready for another try, and do the Weller 12.

Connoisseur
    Weller 12 or Old Weller Antique 107. the budget choice will be the OWA but don't let the cheaper price full you. I had this at our family Christmas party last night and it was a big hit. As you will most likely read on other forums about the OWA don't let the first pour fool you, it gets better after opened up for a bit. You should be able to pick the OWA up for around $20 and Weller 12 for under $30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enthusiast

Try vatting 1/2 WSR with 1/2 OWA, or a similar ratio.

This adds a little more burn and depth to the WSR, and mellows the OWA.

One of my favorites.

Merry Christmas to all and best wishes for a happy healthy and prosperous 2012.

Bill.
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

William Faulkner

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by wmpevans View Post
    Try vatting 1/2 WSR with 1/2 OWA, or a similar ratio.

This adds a little more burn and depth to the WSR, and mellows the OWA.

One of my favorites.

Merry Christmas to all and best wishes for a happy healthy and prosperous 2012.

Bill.
    Another option I do is take the OWA, pour in a large measuring cup so it splashes around, then pour back in bottle, I think this hastens the oxygenation and opens it up.

What I do now is buy in 1.75 bottles and pour half the new bottle in the old bottle so both are half full, I really like OWA once it breaths a bit.