Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Virtuoso

Rittenhouse 21/23/25

Does anyone know for sure the approximate number of barrels/bottles produced for each release? In searching out some older threads, I cannot find anything definite. I saw a 25 last week for around $200 which is steeper than any 21s or 23s which I have found. Also, have not seen near as many 25s as the previous releases. Maybe fewer barrels for the 25?

I've never dropped the dollars for any of them, but, thinking about trying to work them into the 2012 budget. Seeing how few & far between old ryes are going to be in the future, I have seriously began considering what I once deemed bordering on insanity - paying >$100 for a bottle of whiskey.

Last Q: Is this the final long-aged Rittenhouse release that HH has planned or will there possibly be another?
    Last edited by Old Lamplighter; 12-18-2011 at 20:37.

Virtuoso

Re: Rittenhouse 21/23/25

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Does anyone know for sure the approximate number of barrels/bottles produced for each release? In searching out some older threads, I cannot find anything definite. I saw a 25 last week for around $200 which is steeper than any 21s or 23s which I have found. Also, have not seen near as many 25s as the previous releases. Maybe fewer barrels for the 25?

I've never dropped the dollars for any of them, but, thinking about trying to work them into the 2012 budget. Seeing how few & far between old ryes are going to be in the future, I have seriously began considering what I once deemed bordering on insanity - paying >$100 for a bottle of whiskey.

Last Q: Is this the final long-aged Rittenhouse release that HH has planned or will there possibly be another?
    From the press releases:

Rittenhouse Very Rare 25-year-old Single Barrel Rye, which will be available in major metro markets throughout the country for the holiday season at an average retail price of $190 for a 750ml bottle, is a very limited release—only one thousand 3-bottle cases, or a total of 3,000 bottles, will be shipped within the US, the United Kingdom, France, Australia, New Zealand and Japan. The 100 proof whiskey is very rare, indeed, for a number of reasons—its single barrel designation, its remarkable age, its pedigree as a Heaven Hill straight rye, its lack of chill filtering. When all combined into one outstanding, impressively dressed package, it will represent a new “holy grail” for American Whiskey and Rye Whiskey lovers.

23 yr
    This bottling follows the limited edition release of the 21-year-old Rittenhouse Very Rare Single Barrel last Fall, hailed as "the best straight rye I've sampled in 25 years" by spirits expert F. Paul Pacult in Delta Sky Magazine, and awarded "Rye Whiskey of the Year" by whiskey authority Jim Murray in his Whisky Bible 2007. The limited 32 barrel release of the 21-year-old has been completely depleted, with rye connoisseurs snapping up all the available bottles at a $150 average retail price. Much like the landmark first release, the 23-year-old version is a lush, rich and full-bodied 100° whiskey that is dumped and bottled one barrel at a time, and is not chill filtered, preserving all the natural flavors and "mouthfeel" from the barrel. And like the first bottling, the new 23-year-old will be available in a three 750ml bottle case at select fine spirits retailers in major metropolitan areas throughout the country. The new 23-year-old release will be even rarer than its predecessor, as there will only be 25 barrels available, versus the 31 barrels that sold out of the 21-year-old rye. The newest release of the 23-year-old will carry an average national retail price of $170.

21yr
    See above mention, the 21 was 32 barrels. Now you would think that that we be somewhat less in terms of bottles, but in a letter that Chuck got from HH that he posted on the BE site, they did state that it was also 3,000 bottles.

In the end, I think they were all around 3,000 apiece in terms of release size.

Personally, I can't imagine them coming out with something longer. The odds of pushing any bourbon longer is just against you. Laws of diminishing returns and all that.

Welcome to the insanity club-We're always accepting new members. I just got my trilogy card completed for this one, so good luck in your searching.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by BFerguson View Post
    From the press releases:

Welcome to the insanity club-We're always accepting new members. I just got my trilogy card completed for this one, so good luck in your searching.

B
    Really appreciate the info. I found some bits & pieces on older threads but this sums it up nicely....thanks very much! Yep, it would have been insane in the past for me to be thinking along these lines. However, as mentioned here numerous times, old rye is very unlikely to be found in the forseeable future and when it does the price could be even more ridiculous. So, I may have to beg, borrow & steal to get these but plan on making a run at it before there are none to be found.

Thanks again for your help.

Virtuoso

Checked around a little yesterday and I may have waited a little long on the 21...looks to be gone. Oh well, by the time my wallet recovers from Christmas, maybe will pursue further.