Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Back From Sandbox New to Bourbon

Hello all, I just wanted to say thank-you for helping the time pass overseas with good articles and posts. I decided that I needed a new hobby when I returned so I began to collect and enjoy bourbon. I was fortunate enough to purchase PVW 10, 12, 15, 20, 23 yr, Maker's, and Jack Daniel's Holiday Select 2011 (yes I know it's not bourbon) and now I would like to expand my bourbon collection. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations- I am interested in finding some Old Taylor ND 80 or 86 or some Old Weller SW. I do have a bottle of PVW 20 yr for trade if anyone is interested.

Advanced Taster

Re: Back From Sandbox New to Bourbon

Welcome, Merry Christmas, and Thanks.

You might want to let everyone know where you are. (I would guess upstate NY but you never know) Would make trading easier as well as the possiblilty for some tasting sessions.

And the list of bottles to try is long - lots of bourbon but each a bit different.

As a fellow newbie, I'm really liking the Blanton's and ETL but also getting into a 4R Single Barrel and an EC12 lately. And don't pass up the lower end Wellers either.

Rich

Virtuoso

Welcome to both of you. Sounds like your on the right track with the premiums. In fact, regarding the lower shelves, there are few if any really bad Bourbons on the shelf today, just ones that you won't care for as much as some others. Recommendations about what's good are just someone else's taste and opinion. Just buy what looks interesting and work your way through enough juice to form your own opinions.

Welcome home gobills!! And thanks.

Novice

welcome to the board. thanks for your service.

Welcome to the site I hope you enjoy it here, come join us in chat some time. Thank you for your service to our great nation.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by creighton View Post
    welcome to the board. thanks for your service.
    Yup. I couldn't agree more.
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Novice

Thanks everyone- I am getting some samples- thanks to sailor22, so I am anxious to try them out and post my thoughts on them. Just a quick question for everyone- are the Ebay prices for older bourbon correct? I have seen bottles of ND Old Taylor 86 proof going for $50/750 ml bottle. Kind of steep considering people are able to find dusters on the shelf for a lot less.

Novice

Thank you for your service.
    Lurking And Learning
    Bráithreachas Thar Gach Ni
    Firefighter Paramedic

Virtuoso

EBay is indeed high compared to original shelf prices - of course it is available on EBay and has been mostly gone from the shelves for the last 10 to 30 years or so. If I totaled my time and my gas the ebay prices seem like a bargain. OTOH it isn't about the money as much as it is about the hunt.

Also keep in mind some large portion of Ebay sales are old but not necessarily distinctive or special whiskies. It's possible to waste a lot of money buying on Ebay unless you know for sure what your buying.

Novice

I tried Old Taylor 86 proof last night and it was excellent. The nose had an aroma of vanilla, butterscotch, dried fruits and also some leather. I poured the bourbon neat and immediately had a sip. The initial taste was met with a bit of alcohol followed by hints of apricot and corn. I let the bourbon sit for several minutes before finishing it, and I have to admit that made all of the difference with this bourbon. The Old Taylor mellowed out quite a bit and revealed a buttery vanilla taste. The finish was very smooth with a very enjoyable aftertaste. Overall, this was an excellent, uncomplicated bourbon that can be enjoyed neat.