Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Another long-time listener, first-time caller

Allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Evan, and I cannot really pretend to have any idea what I'm talking about with bourbon or whiskey. Now, before I get people reciting the definition of bourbon or something, I should say that I have studied and consumed enough of the stuff to know more than the average person. I just have come to realize, mostly from reading this thread, that knowing bourbon is all about experience, which a lot of you clearly have and which my age and poor-college-student-ness prevent me from having. That, and I think the subjectivity of whiskey pretty much demands the whole Socratic ignorance-is-the-beginning-of-wisdom approach.

And here's a more practical introduction. I'm 23, finishing my undergrad and student teaching at the University of Missouri, getting used to home-ownership, and trying to sneak in some bourbon on the side. Though not opposed to Scotch, I really like bourbon and am convinced that the latter's bang-to-buck ratio demands my full attention. Especially because my yearly whiskey budget runs in the low hundreds. Honestly, I am often blown away (read impressed and intimidated) at the astronomically huge bourbon budgets of posters here. Really, I can hardly imagine spending $80+ a bottle even when I do get old and fat and rich (God speed the day). In any case, I push the boundaries of my wife's approval and drink what I can get; for me this means EW black, sometimes $20ish offerings like WT101 or WSR and for my birthday FR1B. So even though I won't really be able to participate in conversations comparing slight variations of $100 bottles, as much as I would like to, I still feel like I have a lot to learn from those kinds of discussions. I probably won't hunt down BTAC's etc., but I'll use insights extracted from your talk about them to guide my own $12-35 bourbon purchases. And then someday, maybe someday, I can grow into the whiskey lunatic that I was born to be.

Anyway, I really look forward to spending my should-be-working time with you guys.

Only the very best regards,
    Evan Sherman
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Advanced Taster

Re: Another long-time listener, first-time caller

Oh yeah, I generally prefer rye-bourbons to wheaters but am aware of the limits of my sample pool to date and am completely open to exploring new bottles. Considering that I only get like 2 handles and 4-7 fifths a year therefore want stuff I will like (instead of stuff I buy for the experimental fun of it), does anybody have any recommendations in the $15-$25 range?
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Virtuoso

Welcome! And don't get hung up on the expensive bottles. There are some AMAZING pours to be found in the sub $50 range, even well below that. We've had some great discussions about our favorite bottom-shelf bottles. Just use the Search function and you'll find some great info. Have fun!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Connoisseur

My strategy has been to keep the 4-7 fifths money, and apply it to handles of stuff I like. You'll get more whiskey for the cash outlay that way. I also pick up 200 or 375 ml bottles of things I want to try.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Young Blacksmith View Post
    My strategy has been to keep the 4-7 fifths money, and apply it to handles of stuff I like. You'll get more whiskey for the cash outlay that way. I also pick up 200 or 375 ml bottles of things I want to try.
    And don't forget that many stores also have the sample-sized bottles for non-expensive tastings.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Enthusiast

IMO some really good bourbons for not much $$$$$, and as already posted, you can buy the 1.75L for usually $20 or less:

Very Old Barton
    Jim Beam Black
    Old Grand Dad BIB
    Old Charter
    Weller Special Reserve
    Rebel Yell

There is a wide range of styles and tastes with these but I love them all depending on what type pour you're in the mood for.

Happy sippin. Bill.
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

William Faulkner

Advanced Taster

Thanks a lot everybody for the warm welcomes. I really appreciate the advice; its really good to have a short list when you walk into a liquor store and confront the array of options and variables on their whiskey shelves. And I really think I will take to heart the suggestion about handle and small bottle approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Blacksmith View Post
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Disciple

Welcome aboard. Don't be intimidated and think you have to climb the shelf quickly to appreciate good bourbon. Just because somone owns a bottle of PVW23 doesn't make him an expert.

Disciple

Welcome Evan. There were a couple good options listed, but you should check out Old Grand Dad 114 also. Typically in the sub $25 range, and definitely a good bang-for-your-buck option. Very tasty stuff.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Connoisseur

Try anything that says "bottled in bond". Anything over 80 proof, or with an age statement is worth a try. After you have tried some stuff from several distilleries, you'll know what you prefer.